• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

For me, throwing RHBH with a 170g, its between a Tbird and PD. Fairly straight out to 250-265 at about 10' off the deck and then a pretty hard fade, say about 20+ feet?.. Some of that could be me...and probably is. Powered down nicely for short shots with a nice strong fade. I tried to flex it some, but that ended up in a nice Anhyzer that it rode to the ground. That could be handy some days.

This is what I was hoping to hear.

I use a stable Valk and EX combo for everything between 350-420'. What does the Volt get me than my current setup doesn't?

i'm sorry but the whole 'quarter on a string' example of gyroscopic effect is completely wrong. A disc given force on it's outer edge (grip area) has an equal and exact opposite weight opposing the outer edge opposing the point of force.

in the string example, there is no opposing weight, just a pivot point. a more accurate example would be a string with two quarters, one on each end, with the string supported perfectly in the middle.

think of it this way: a roulette wheel. if you place your hand on the edge and spin it, it goes until gravity and friction defeat the momentum of the force applied. What you are saying is taking only one 'number section' of a roulette wheel and spinning it. Of course a heavier weight on the end of one piece of a roulette wheel will spin longer. when there is equal weight on the opposite side of the disc (not a string, an entire evenly weighted disc) the effect of the weight on the outer edge is different.

is there still a difference? i dunno. I hope so but I think it's a small one. I truly believe the MVP stuff flies better for some people because they WANT it to fly better for them. power of suggestion and all that.

iacas responded above as well as I could hope to regarding the main part of your post.

I have a friend that works in the skateboard/wheel design industry. They use gyroscopically weighted wheels (both by shape and using weighted overmolds) for the same basic reasons MVP does...To improve their spin.

As far as the last part of your post, I totally see where you are coming from. I certainly like MVP discs for a lot of reasons, but it's not like I can say I'm any better at disc golf since using them. I agree that it's very hard to distinguish exactly how much the weight distribution affects the flight of MVP's discs. Maybe the designs are so good they would dictate a good flight independent of the weighted overmold. I'm pretty sure the overmold makes a positive contribution to the flight though.

Today I got the Volt out about 325-350. I live in western MA and we've got the start of a hurricane going on, winds are at about 50mph, should be about 80 by the time the brunt of it gets here. The tailwind is pretty damn strong. Lined up with the wind crossing from over my left shoulder, and exposed the bottom of the disc to the tailwind. The disc got hurled up in the air to about 50 feet and took about a 460-470 foot ride. First hurricane Ive ever thrown in and certainly not the last.

Just as a scale comparison, my best drive with a bliz boss is 315.

I'd seriously be afraid it would just get sucked up into the sky.

Discspeed: I'd seriously be afraid it would just get sucked up into the sky.

My thought exactly. But how often do you get to throw in a hurricane?

For those of you that ordered from Justin at CommunityDiscs.com (great guy to work with BTW), did you guys get a tracking number? Not sure if I was supposed to get one.

Took the new Volts out today: 168 and 175. I am thoroughly impressed, and will agree that the hype is not just hype.

Granted, I reserve the right to modify my review after playing with them more (haven't been on the course in three weeks), but I'm still really impressed.

For reference, I typically throw 325-350 on controlled shots, and push 400 regularly on open distance lines. For me, the first throw was surprising: I was surprised to see how quick they move, and shortly after getting over that surprise I was surprised again with how fast and well they lock onto line. Then, I was surprised at how smooth the turn is (getting just a touch out of the heavy, and some definitely right-to-left tracking with the light). And then I was surprised at the gentle, forward fade.

And then the disc hit the ground--a full thirty feet farther than what I anticipated. (Some of the longest drives at the course so far.)

So first throws were surprising in a good way. I giggled a lot this round, and enjoyed watching the lines I could shape. I would have no problem playing an entire round with just these two. I'm getting surprising distance with surprising control, and am very pleased.

I'll give them a full workout this week, but so far I am very impressed.

For those of you that ordered from Justin at CommunityDiscs.com (great guy to work with BTW), did you guys get a tracking number? Not sure if I was supposed to get one.

No he doesn't send out tracking. But he does ship crazy fast. Shipped the my Volts Thursday and they were ready for pick up (stupid post office) Saturday.

Guys, for those who've thrown both is it fair to say that the Volt is a faster Axis?

:popcorn:

Relatively fair to say.

I got two volts. Both 174, one bright yellow stock stamp and one skulltrooper from DN. I noticed out of the box that the bright yellow was slightly less stable, so I messed the rim of it a little on some concrete for some more interesting tests. Throwing them felt a lot like throwing a little wider rimmed teebirds. They did have more turn for sure than my TBs have, but given room they did fade out of it. I definitely like them, not the furthest throwers, not an instant falling in love experience, but solid control drivers

No he doesn't send out tracking. But he does ship crazy fast. Shipped the my Volts Thursday and they were ready for pick up (stupid post office) Saturday.

I gave Justin my first order as a customer a few weeks ago with the Volt Pre-order. I ordered 2 Volts and an Air Saint. My order didn't get marked as shipped until late Saturday... I was hoping to get them on Saturday to get some throws in over the weekend!

I gave Justin my first order as a customer a few weeks ago with the Volt Pre-order. I ordered 2 Volts and an Air Saint. My order didn't get marked as shipped until late Saturday... I was hoping to get them on Saturday to get some throws in over the weekend!

I pre-ordered my Volts months ago. August, maybe? Anyway, I got mine on Saturday and they were shipped Thursday.

When you order three or more discs he ships USPS Priority.

He was slammed with preorders and I believe did not get the discs until Thursday. He had to sort through 'em all and get them ready to ship, so it took a bit.

Fear not - you made a good decision to go with him. I ordered two discs from him this weekend at separate times. He combined the order into one package and refunded me one of the shipping charges. Good stuff.

Fear not - you made a good decision to go with him. I ordered two discs from him this weekend at separate times. He combined the order into one package and refunded me one of the shipping charges. Good stuff.

He did the same for me.

This was the first time ordering stuff from him, but it won't be the last. He's earned my business.

Discspeed: I'd seriously be afraid it would just get sucked up into the sky.

My thought exactly. But how often do you get to throw in a hurricane?

I thought that might have been what would happen. But as schwizzle said, how often? Thats an opportunity that could not be passed up.

Guys, for those who've thrown both is it fair to say that the Volt is a faster Axis?

:popcorn:

The Volt is a faster hybrid of the Vector and the Axis. I'm not sure that for it's slot it glides quite as well as the Axis, but more like a Vector. It's got the slight high speed turn of seasoned and some new Axis, but it has the LSS of a seasoned Vector. So the Axis flies very straight from a flat throw, the Vector goes dead straight and then fades strongly, and the Volt does more of a tight S pattern flight. It's one heck of a trio...The range at which I start having to push the mids a little too hard on tight holes(300'-340' depending on line) it is a pretty easy throw with the Volt.

Latest posts