• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I finally had the chance to get out and throw my Volts for the first time yesterday (thanks to SS Sandy). First thing I noticed, it most definitely holds what ever line you put on it. My second throw ever with a Volt was 2 feet shy of being a 300ft ace (with a witness)! After one round, it reminds me most of a C-Line Discmania TD. It's not as flippy, but similar in speed and the way that it holds lines. Initially I was worried that the rim would be too shallow for me, but it was very comfortable in the hand and allowed for a consistent release on every throw. For those who complain that it doesn't handle the wind, I was throwing in a very squirrely 25-30mph wind with little problem. While it's definitely not a Predator, it was still more than useful in the wind. It definitively has the trademark MVP forward fade. I think The Volt will end up shutting a lot of the MVP doubters up, if they give it a fair shot.

Local shop got the Volt in yesterday at the end of the day so I went in as soon as they opened today to get my pick. I left with a 175g white. It was the flattest one there, but none were much more domey than this one. I got about 8-10 throws with it on the course and in the field next to it.

My first throw with the volt was outdistanced by my leopard by a whole foot! Ok, I gave the leo about 10' more height to work with. They both landed about 380' away and my teebird was right there too and the river was a little passed them all. After a few throws, I was getting the volt passed the river and was rivaling my flow in distance.

On one hole, the wind started to pick up into my face a tiny bit and I decided to give the volt a shot at penetrating it. I gave it a bit of hyzer and it flipped up and turned over, but it did come back at the end and landed 25' short of the 444' basket. I then threw my domey Opto flow for comparison with the same amount of hyzer, and it flew pretty much exactly the same way, and skipped to a few feet passed the volt.

Initial reaction: I like it. Feels great in my hand. I didn't notice it being too shallow at all. I do the same as MikeC and give just about every throw a bit of hyzer unless the shot calls for anny, so the volt so far seems to have the stability I like in a driver. It seems like it can be worked either hyzer or anhyzer pretty easily if I want it to. It also has quite a bit of distance. I'll have to give it more time to see if it wants to make a permanent home in my bag or not. I haven't ever thought about taking my river or flows out of the bag ever since I got them, so the volt has to show me more magic to make the cut.

Last edited:
I had a hard time finding my orange Volts in the dead grass in the field I was testing them at. They seemed to camouflage too well.

This is just an excuse to buy a hot pink one for my next disc purchase.

:D

Hot pink and lime green are definitely recommended for visibility!! Got a white Axis in the mail today as well.

Also, these are the flatest discs I have. There is a little dome but not a lot. Will get profile pics up tomorrow possibly.

Attachments

• DSC00606 small.jpg
    DSC00606 small.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hot pink and lime green are definitely recommended for visibility!!

Yep.

I bought the orange ones because I was so stoked about getting them that I wanted the lightest ones possible, and the lightest ones were orange and blue.

MVP's Neutron colors are so bright, the orange just mixes wrong with the color of long, dead grass, and dirt.

DGC has pink ones, but they're all 174. :\

Maybe MST will have some light pinks when they restock.

Yep.

I bought the orange ones because I was so stoked about getting them that I wanted the lightest ones possible, and the lightest ones were orange and blue.

MVP's Neutron colors are so bright, the orange just mixes wrong with the color of long, dead grass, and dirt.

I noticed DGC had black again as their lower weight ones like before, so I am thinking these are still from the first run for those colors in low weights. Just a hypothesis, though.

Yep.

I was lucky to get a 170 in the hot pink (thanks to Justin again). The green is a 175.

Here's a question I haven't seen thrown around(or didn't know where to look): What weights are better to counteract wind? I was thinking above 173 on average would be weights you want for wind.

However, does strength/ability of the thrower play into this also?

I originally wanted a 168 for my light weight disc, and get a 173 for the heavy disc. But since I had to get a 170, I didn't think 3g was enough difference to matter, which is why I went for 175.

Last edited:
imag0736r.jpg

Well I had to drink the kool-aid. 175 pink and 170 black. Upon further inspection the black has a higher dome, and the overmold seems to be sitting higher when compared nose to nose to the pink. Cant wait to get out and throw!

I played another two rounds with the Volts today, and I gotta say I'm even more impressed than last time.

Again, I was driving as far as if not farther than my max distance drivers, but with more control, placement, and ease. There's not much else I can say that hasn't been said already. They hold lines crazy well. They go straight forEVER before thinking about fading. They fly low lines like they're made to do just that. They hang in the air longer than should be possible. They power down like they're mids, and still fly forever.

Put it this way: I've never had so many ace runs in a single round. Literally six shots at aces in under 20 holes--and this is at my home course. Never been able to reach the pin with this kind of accuracy before. I didn't know what "point and shoot" was until today.

Lastly, I have to chime in on the weird behavior of the 168 orange. It's flatter, and the edge sits lower than my max weight dayglow. But it fights much harder out of a anny, and it is harder to hyzer flip. Not sure why, but it does. It's strange because it WILL turn more than the heavy, but it fades hard.

Long and the short of it, I've never thrown a disc quite like these.

That's pretty much what many of the players have said about the Volt.

Maybe I was too hard on the Volt in my review. Tomorrow I'm going to use my Volt for all my drives and longest approaches. That will give me a better test than in an open field. Can't wait to hit the course.

just received my two orange 170g Volts in the mail yesterday (Thanks Justin!!). Initial throws were good. I've been following a little bit since the testers got theirs. What I expected ... is what I got. Looking forward to lighten the bag up for a little bit to give these a fair shake.

They're competing with a couple discs in my bag. We'll see how they fair in a few months. Any tester's able to get these discs to a "beat in" state yet? Do they lose the ability to fight back the fade toward the end of flight?

just received my two orange 170g Volts in the mail yesterday (Thanks Justin!!). Initial throws were good. I've been following a little bit since the testers got theirs. What I expected ... is what I got. Looking forward to lighten the bag up for a little bit to give these a fair shake.

They're competing with a couple discs in my bag. We'll see how they fair in a few months. Any tester's able to get these discs to a "beat in" state yet? Do they lose the ability to fight back the fade toward the end of flight?
I loved reading that Mike. Nothing better than hearing when discs goto a good home :clap:

I played a tag match yesterday and let my buddy who has a bigger arm than me throw it. It went dead-nuts straight for 80% of the flight, then just barely faded at the end. The way he threw it made it act like a straighter River(max weight champ), and I quote "Everything I want my teebirds to be out of the box".

Phenn: I hear ya on those ace runs. I've been averaging a couple solid runs every round I've played since I've bagged these guys.

There is one hole on my home course that the Volt does like no other disc I've bagged. It is about a 340' hyzer through a bunch of relatively spread out but very well placed trees. Discs that hold their hyzer line out of my hand tend to come up short on this line and end up skipping too far left. However, neutral discs that push through their hyzer often straighten out too much and hit a tree before curving left (rhbh). The Volt executes this line perfect, holding the hyzer and getting good forward glide/late fade while not pushing out of it's angle or line. Then at the end it just takes a little hop and sticks. It is simply beautiful to watch it fly on that slight hyzer/left creeping line.