• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: 2019 Santa Cruz Masters Cup presented by Innova 17-May to 19-May-2019

Garrett says he did his homework, watched some coverage for tips on landing zones. I guess that means I can claim my many hours logged watching CCDG and Jomez as homework for my game! :| :)

congratz Garrett, might have to see if there's some footage of him on rounds 1 and 2. That golf course was the perfect style for Garrett to just run away with the thing.

Just finished watching the FPO coverage. In the two rounds Hokom was on lead card she foot faulted ten times or more and was never called, pretty much every time she jump putts. The saddest part is that a bunch of them were just lay-ups.

One of her many illegal jump putts-

Just finished watching the FPO coverage. In the two rounds Hokom was on lead card she foot faulted ten times or more and was never called, pretty much every time she jump putts. The saddest part is that a bunch of them were just lay-ups.

One of her many illegal jump putts-

When you start to look for it there is really SOO many footfaults. . but that one was really bad, she is not even close to releaseing the disc and is way up in the air.

Yea you gotta give it to GG, that 2nd round was just brutal and not only did he survive it but still managed to score pretty well. Then he just played a great round on sunday to clinch it. Had a couple hiccups but that to be expected. He turned it back on when he needed it and that's the mark of a true competitor.

The only similarity between OB and 2-meters is the penalty. The rest of the procedure for each is entirely different. If OB, you play from the last point in-bounds or the previous lie or a drop zone. If over 2-meters, you play from the point on the playing surface directly below the disc.

Yes, if you take the penalty, you are allowed free line of play relief. But you still have to establish the lie from which to take relief first, which is where being clear that they are different rules with different procedures is important.

Still not entirely convinced. In both cases the disc is at a place where the lie cannot be marked, and a new lie must be assigned (and both have their own options, although as you can always abandon the throw, i.e. if disc is in a tree, you can also play from the previous lie.) Relief is then obtained from that place.

I wonder... If OB, and a drop zone is provided.... Can you take free relief from the drop zone too? :popcorn::D Its not impossible to imagine a situation where backing up opens up an alternative route to the basket.

Love me some hypothetical rules talk. I swear I rule talk at four digits.

I´m not THAT into rules, but watching the first two rounds . . .can´t you re-tee with a penalty stroke if you want?

I saw big numbers after the tee shot hit a tree and landed in HARD spots that took the players several throws to get out of. . why not just re-tee?

I´m not THAT into rules, but watching the first two rounds . . .can´t you re-tee with a penalty stroke if you want?

I saw big numbers after the tee shot hit a tree and landed in HARD spots that took the players several throws to get out of. . why not just re-tee?

The problem with reteeing at a place like Dela, is that you are just as likely to throw the exact same drive or even worse as you were the first time. So unless you are just completely screwed, sometimes its just better to take your medicine and try to pitch out.

The problem with reteeing at a place like Dela, is that you are just as likely to throw the exact same drive or even worse as you were the first time. So unless you are just completely screwed, sometimes its just better to take your medicine and try to pitch out.

Yes i can see that it´s a hard call, but some of those +6 holes or worse looked like "better to re tee shots"
Same with some of the putts. . short miss, roll down the hill. . why not putt from your last lie.

Yes i can see that it´s a hard call, but some of those +6 holes or worse looked like "better to re tee shots"
Same with some of the putts. . short miss, roll down the hill. . why not putt from your last lie.

I thought the same thing for at least 3 tee throws on the first round. I think if you can put yourself in their shoes in the moment it's not as easy as when watching , and of course an easy decision as we watch it unfold.

I'm positive I have never applied the rule and re-threw and then also played the bad shot to see which was the better decision.

Yes, Sarah Hokom has been known to fly during some of her jump putts. But if you think about it, we have a still shot here or a video that we can watch and re-watch, etc. In live time, the other players don't have that luxury, nor can the videos be accessed at the time to make a determination. So it would be nice if these infractions were called, but it's a 'better be sure' type of situation, and I don't think the other players are all that sure (even if they wanted to be).

Side note: with all this talk, I watched the Black Canary (Catrina Allen) throwing on the various videos, and I thought she did a much better job with her footwork this tournament. She might've read DGCR and worked on it, but I never saw an obvious foot fault (doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that I didn't see anything). For that matter, Paige Bjerkaas looked like she was going to overstep her marker or the tee every time, but ended up being just behind the line, i.e. okay.

I didn't check it closely but the way Matt Bell was jumping for many of his putts, I would be surprised if all of them were legal.

DeLa and many of the courses here are similar that decision is very bad because things can end up the same or worse with a re-tee.

There are markers for me on some shots where I know I'm looking at two throws to get back to where my drive should have landed. If you think about it that way. "Will it take more than two throws to get back to where I was/could be?" It makes the Re-tee or stroke to re-putt: or throw much less palatable. There are for sure time and place but they are rarer than you might think.

IIRC, in a recent USWDGC Paige Pierce missed a putt, which rolled OB and down a steep hill a long way. She chose to re-putt from the original spot with a penalty stroke, and who could blame her.

That situation is one where a re-throw from the original position is justified. Off the tee, if one has reasonable access to the disc and is able to throw it, then it's better to throw from there and be lying 2 than to re-tee and be lying 3 from the subsequent throw... especially for these pros that can make up bad throws much better than (most) casual players can...

Latest posts