• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

veganray said:
For them, a missed putt or a bad rollaway may mean the difference between sleeping in a bed or in a backseat of a car next week, or the difference between steak or Cheetos (or nothing) for dinner. I'm not trying to justify unsporting behavior, but try to walk a mile in their shoes before you judge.

this. Barry chose to walk to the e.r. And quite possibly the unemployment line for the next 2mos. He made his choice.

Time to move on!

Which pro is next In line for such controversy of their choices?

beatz said:
roadkill said:
ziggy said:
veganray said:

I got money on Nikko!
I'm betting it wont be Nikko.

Well which horse you takin?

When you put your money down at the window they don't ask for the horse that won't win. Do I gotta teach you everything about wagering?

Actually, Nikko gave his putter a good punch yesterday. I guess no one told him what Barry did :lol:

ziggy said:
veganray said:
For them, a missed putt or a bad rollaway may mean the difference between sleeping in a bed or in a backseat of a car next week, or the difference between steak or Cheetos (or nothing) for dinner. I'm not trying to justify unsporting behavior, but try to walk a mile in their shoes before you judge.

this. Barry chose to walk to the e.r. And quite possibly the unemployment line for the next 2mos. He made his choice.

Time to move on!

my god that must be embarrassing.

Although I haven't heard this from someone that saw Barry do this, he gets what he deserves with this kind of crap. I was hoping it was his backhand follow through that broke his hand.

I find Brad getting arrested for DUI much more embarrassing for himself and the PDGA tour.

Where are we getting this info that if they don't cash they sleep in the street? Do most Pros quit their jobs and rely purely on tournament cashing to sustain themselves?

Dig It said:
Where are we getting this info that if they don't cash they sleep in the street? Do most Pros quit their jobs and rely purely on tournament cashing to sustain themselves?

Actually there are a number who do just that. Most have some sponsorship which basically amounts to little more than a pittance. Primarily the only other income most of them have is through disc sales. Innova may consign a couple hundred discs to them for $4-6 each, they sell them for $9-15 and then they keep the difference.

Come to think of it if they were crafty salesmen, they might do okay if they made contacts with course pros at busy courses with large active clubs. If they would show up on league night, put on a brief mini clinics they could probably move some discs by offering autographs with the discs that are sold. Say you target 4 courses' league nights a week and sell an average of 20 discs per appearance that's 80 discs a week at an average profit of $6.00 a disc that's nearly 500 a week to supplement your disc golf winnings. By no means lucrative but if you can average $700 a tourney in cash winnings plus $500 in discs sales profit, you wouldn't have to eat ramen noodles every night.

Is the todocast broadcast going on today as well? The website says March 3-5 which does not include today. I`m thinking about giving them $5 to see a couple hours of action.

No live video coverage. They are producing a 30 minute wrap-up show from video shot today. It looks like they weren't able to shoot live at Vista where the pros finish up today. They only did live coverage at the Fountain course. It will cost you $20 to see the wrap-up show and the archived 12 hours of live streams from the past three days.

Chuck Kennedy said:
It will have primarily 30 minutes of coverage from today from what I understand.

That's good to hear. I thought the PDGA's experiment was worth a shot. Hopefully, they'll consider doing it for other events.

I know some payed to watch this just to support disc golf, but was the coverage worth the money?

gator said:
I know some payed to watch this just to support disc golf, but was the coverage worth the money?

Yep. There was lots of golf to watch. The reason I like watching PGA golf is because I get to see a ton of shots in a 3-4 hour time span. This broadcast was very similar to that.

Also, Crazy John Brooks was doing interviews. I think that would be worth $20 alone. Crazy could be ESPN's disc golf correspondent in 10 years.

That's good to hear. I thought the PDGA's experiment was worth a shot. Hopefully, they'll consider doing it for other events.
I'll point out again this was not the PDGA's experiment but a team of entrepreneurs (which happened to include the PDGA Marketing Director who is not an employee). They financed it all out of their own pockets offset by income from subscriptions and sponsorships. The only PDGA support was allowing their web presence for promotion and including info in emails to members. It's not that the PDGA isn't interested in the potential of live coverage but it just wasn't in the budget or at least wasn't approved by the Board to help fund the test.

I believe I heard they had plans for live coverage at two other events but they didn't indicate which ones. Pro Worlds would be a good one since all of the courses are on one site with power access for cabling.

Nice thread title. As funny as I might find it, I remember a recent thread that was locked because there was discussion that was demeaning to a specific pro, can we see some consistancy?

Redisculous said:
Nice thread title. As funny as I might find it, I remember a recent thread that was locked because there was discussion that was demeaning to a specific pro, can we see some consistancy?
So far this thread has been MUCH more civil than the Nikko thread. Hopefully we have learned where the line is for that stuff.

Latest posts