• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What have you dropped on the hobby this past year?

How much money did you spend on disc golf in 2009?

• under $100

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • $100 - $250

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • $250 - $500

Votes: 40 28.8%
  • $500 - $1000

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • $1000 - $2500

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • $2500 - $5000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • over $5000

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

scarpfish

Resident Grouch
Gold level trusted reviewer
They say disc golf is a cheap hobby. It may be a comparatively cheap one, but I'm not so convinced. So try to think of everything DG related you plunked money on this year.

You don't have to be exact. Heck, you don't have to even be close. Unless you saved receipts, we're all going to likely undercount the actual damage anyways.

So we're all on the same page with this:

INCLUDE
Discs (duh)
Disc Assessories (bags, minis, practice baskets, retrieval equipment (had to be specifically purchased for DG), tripod stools (had to be specifically purchased for DG), apparel and shoes (had to be specifically purchased for DG).
Memberships or dues (PDGA and local)
Tourney or League entries including ace pots
Other DG specifc stuff (DVD's, DGCR swag or premium membership)

DO NOT INCLUDE (or separately categorize)

Gas money spent getting to courses, tournaments
Lodging or camping expenses related to tournaments or trips
Food, beverages, or umm, 'other stuff' consumed at tournaments/league/casual play.
Stuff you can, and do use as disc golf equipment which you purchased for non-DG uses.

If I didn't list it and you're not sure to include, ask it here.

You can give a lump sum, or a categorical breakdown.

Jesus...do I really want to do this?

lets say 60 discs at 10: $600
A starter bag, 2 crunch box, 2 fade tourney, 2 sets quads: $220
Wife's sons 3 day DG clinic $40
Instep with 2 sets chains: $150 (once chains said and done)
PDGA membership x2: $110
Tourney entries: $150

$1270 for 2 peeps, 3 if you count her son

Next year will only pay for tourneys hopefully <10 discs.

Probably $500 on discs to which I have donated $300 in lost plastic (can I use that as a write off /donation)
I've spent probably $100 on doubles and won 2x so I'm in the hole around $50
Damn 550 but it's been worth it..

The real expense has been the gas and lodging for my trips....I would speculate we are getting into the 4 figure range if thats included!

At least $1000 - $1200 between my equipment, son's and gifts for friends.

I can't walk into Disc Nation in Austin without spending at least a $100-150 everytime I go.

And I go a lot. LOL

Next year, the plan is to hit a lot of tourneys, so the price is going up.

Woodpecker

I can post a pretty accurate $$ figure when I get home......... I bought the Quicken financial software and I added a "disc golf related" catagory to track my spending. I'm thinking it's in the $2000 range with all the tourneys I played.

i voted for $100-250, although i'm not entirely sure. i feed my plastic jones mostly through trades instead of purchases, only entered 2 tournies, and joined the local club and not the PDGA.

next year will be more expensive, as i hope to enter more tournies and minis. but, i'm going to win them all, so i'll get that back (and more!) in plastic. you heard it here first!

;):D

I voted $250-$500. But it might be more. That's just for discs and a few disc accessories. You factor in gas and course consumables that total goes well over $1000. Hell I did travel to Rotterdam with the express purpose of playing a round.

5 tournaments at $50-65 each - $265
PDGA membership - $50
15 discs at $15- $225
Mini monthly/weekly tournaments - $100
Merrell Shoes - $75
Revolution Carolina Bag - $125

Total roughly $840.00
Next year my goal is under $500 which is doable with less discs and no bag.

I voted 250 -500. Haven't actually tallied everything, but it is close to 500.

Jeez, I hope my wife doesn't read this:\

DG specific
Discs - $535
Accessories - $55
Memberships - $75
Tourney Entries + Ace Pots - $525
Tourney Sponsorships - $90
DG Specific Expenditures = $1280

related to DG play but non-specific
Motel rooms for tournaments - 4 nights x $42.50aprx = $170
Motel rooms for road trips -
February - 3 nights
June - 9 nights
July - 1 night
September - 3 nights
November - 2 nights
18 nights x $45aprx = $810
Gas money going to either - at least $500 (likely an undercount)
Factor about $15 on food/drink per each night spent on the road
22 x $15 = $330 (likely another undercount)
Non - Specific expenses = $1810

And I'm sure there's crap I'm not thinking of.

This is my first year of play, so that accounts for a lot of my spending I believe. I bought a bunch of discs, a bag, and a practice basket that will hopefully keep me content for some time. I know I will purchase discs here and there but nothing like I have this year. My tourney costs will probably go up...but my disc cost better go down....

Discs= $350
Practice Basket= $140
Disc Bag= $30
Score Keeper= $15
Towel= $4
Tourney/Leagues = $80ish? (I have no idea on that)

That puts me in the ball park of $620.... (don't share that number with my girlfriend...)

voted 500-1000 but I think I'm wrong. More than that.

20+ discs
$200+ basket
$200+ bag
7 bucks twice a week this summer for leagues
a few tourneys

However, I also won quite a bit :) A lot of the discs were from winnings at leagues. Won a 200 dollar ace pot and a 64 dollar ace pot. Winnings at tournaments. Bets with friends I've won and lost. I made good money this summer so I spent it on what I enjoyed the most :)

These are all estimates.

DG specific
Discs: $250 or so, I didn't lose many discs this year.
Disc Assessories: $75 for a bag, $125 for a practice basket, maybe $100 for misc. clothes including a pair of hiking boots. So let's say $300 total.
Memberships or dues: PDGA $50
Tourney or League entries including ace pots: $0
Other DG specifc stuff: DGCR Premium was $25 I believe

related to DG play but non-specific
Motel rooms for road trips: ~5 nights in hotel rooms = $300
Gas money for road trips, plus wear and tear on the car: at least $1,000 (probably closer to $1500)
I'm not going to factor in food/drink because I'd have likely still eaten no matter what I was doing.

I'll call it $2,000 total because that's a nice round number.

Last edited:
Well I don't feel so bad anymore. I'm right there in the middle of the pack.

Is there a 12 Step Program for discin?

Hi, my name's Simpletwist and I'm a discaholic...

Over 1200 two baskets revolution bag 100 discs dg shoes 600+ for tourneys and more

Well sorry to skew the poll. I voted before reading all the way through. I voted the max because I have to include house payments. The main reasons why we bought this place was the close proximity to the course and the 2.5 acres for practice baskets (up to 4 as of now). We decided to sacrifice a little square footage in the house and an extra bathroom for the reasons above. So yeah, I feel my vote is justified. Then add in the discs bought, tournaments played, hours spent organizing events locally, and the sanity I've sacrificed and it gets way over $5K.