• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What have you dropped on the hobby this past year?

How much money did you spend on disc golf in 2009?

• under $100

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • $100 - $250

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • $250 - $500

Votes: 40 28.8%
  • $500 - $1000

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • $1000 - $2500

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • $2500 - $5000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • over $5000

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
Discs - $55
Starter set - $40
WG Superb Value Bag - $12 (including frame)
Spending time with friends and family laughing at how bad we are...Priceless

I started to add it up then... Didn't like where it was going.

12 PDGA events mostly B-tier MA1 for me.
14 PDGA events including worlds for my wife.
5 events were out of town and we only camped at 1 of them(am world dubs).
We attended at least 1 and as many as 3 minis every week.

My truck got broken into in the driveway and we lost 2 full Revo bags & another full Disccarrier of backup discs (along w/ anything else in the truck). A best bud gave my wife his unused Revo w/ straps. But I had to rebuy mine & the backup bag. Another good friend who is a TD hooked us up with discs at cost. Still wasn't a cheap ordeal to replace.

The two courses we play the most have a combined 19 holes on the water, so we have lost and replaced more than I care to think about.

Led lights, flashlights, handwarmers.

For a cheap hobbie it is very expensive.

20 to 25 discs, 10 of which were from the discraft misprints. $220ish
A Fade Tourney bag. $40
Weekly doubles at $4 a pop. $80ish

i voted 1-200, but its my first year, and i should have most everything i need
except a good bag, and the need to try new discs
should be much cheaper from now on, i'd figure for the next year or 2 i'll spend less than 50 for discs and courses

I've am creeping up on 2 years playing. I have easily spent over a grand on discs, bags, shipping, gas, food, and tourneys. I am sure if I sat down and figured out an exact amount I may have to get another part time job. I am pretty sure it might be over 2500 but I am not going to figure it out. I might cry.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.

TOO MUCH!, but I'm pretty well set-up now!

Discs---------------50 X $14 = $700
Bag------------------1 X $60 = $60
Homemade
Baskets--------------2 X $45 = $90
Tournaments
Entered (avg. cost) - 9 X $35 = $315
started DGing in April
8 month Total ----------------$1165

I was new to the game January first and I got hooked quick, and played a lot, only lost a few discs, but also played tourneys too. I do not want to add it all up, but my guesses

Discs and bag $400
Worn out pair of shoes in 1 season $50
Tourneys $200
Leagues $125
Lost discs $30
Fuel $unmentionable
Car Mileage expenses $uncalculable

Things I gained from these expenditures:

I probably found about 30 discs (why noone writes names on them I do not understand. I have only returned 2, but I also called about 3 or 4 other people told them I have their discs and they either didnt call back or didnt care. I write my name and # because I want them back! Value $125

CTP and tourney winnings and player packs: $200

An activity that costs very little once you have the things you need.

A sport that my wife enjoys playing along with me, which is great.

Something to do on long road trips to get out of the car and stretch the legs for 30 minutes to an hour! Value $priceless

Discs---------------50 X $14 = $700
Bag------------------1 X $60 = $60
Homemade
Baskets--------------2 X $45 = $90
Tournaments
Entered (avg. cost) - 9 X $35 = $315
started DGing in April
8 month Total ----------------$1165

Wow you beat me and it was only 8 months

shoes, discs, plotter, dyes, clothes just for DG, and we're looking close to a grand, easy. And that isn't counting the road trip I took.

I chose the 500-1000 option...yes I know that's a LOT for somebody only playing for a few months...but it has it's reasons.

Discs Maybe 300...but like 10-40$ a week...
Disc Assessories I bought a Lightning starter bag, it sucked, bought an innova started bag, outgrew it, got a FADE tourney bag, then straps for it. I bought a mini frisbee basket, and several minis for it. Got my SO some minis. bought a custom painted mini. I got a practice basket used off of a guy for $60...there's no courses that are really close. I bought a disc diver and I sure have used it. I bought Christmas presents all DG related. I bought some shirts. I bought a custom Disc Holester (SIC on purpose) I bought boots specifically for DG. I bought my dad some BITE Distance shoes.

I bought a new hoodie, and a vest. I bought a "ski" coat.

Other DG specifc stuff 2010 travel tag, custom tag, Stokely DVD's

so it's a lot...but most of it I just needed for the weather or to make the game more fun.

I did spend a bit too much on discs..but I learned what I like and now I can be choosy and bu just stuff I know I want.

Like I tried a challenger and fell in love. Then I went the extra mile to get one...then I needed an FLX one for winter..then i saw a good deal on a CryZtal one...

\/\/

I made up a little Google Spreadsheet to keep track of disc costs. Maybe I should add bags and other expenses.

So far I've spend around $120 with tax (since November when I started playing).

Started playing on labor day currently at $700
Discs $350
Practice basket $125
Bag and straps $100
Waterproof Hikers $125
Total $700 well worth it

Tourney 1@ $25
Disc 3@ $15ish (friends donated some plastic:hfive:)
Homemade basket $65

Playing this addictive sport with ton of good times: PRICELESS:D
For everything else theres VISA $105

woops just calculated and I've actually dropped ~$440...a number which I wish I hadn't known. So minus 1 vote from 100-250 and add me into 250-500. I may actually break 500 soon if I don't stop spending. Good thing I got some cash back from selling my innova standard bag today, though not the amount I was hoping for, but at least it's sold and done with.

I voted 500-1000 and here is the breakdown.

$475 in disc
$12 for my daughters bag
$40 for my quads
$115 for shoes and a couple of shirts
$75 on accessories (birdie bag, towels, a stool, and storage totes)
$10 for club membership
$70 on entry fees, sponsorship, leagues, and ace pools

Latest posts