• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Yes,Turbo Putt again

leathercash

Par Member
I remember just starting to play this time last year,and listening to a couple of guys barking back and forth at each other over the following topic: The ATquest tech. putter known as,the "Turbo Putt". They were arguing over whether or not the disc should be legal. Thats all I remember. Then a friend of mine picked one up for me in Dekalb Illinois. I....love....it. Has anyone ever used one and a regular basis? I can't believe it's even approved. Thoughts?

If I recall correctly from I what I think Three Putt has said it was approved and then had that approval taken away.

Either way I don't mind it not being legit for tournament play. I personally think if that's you're putting style should be able to do it with a normal shaped disc. To be honest other than personal comfort I can't see any advantages to turbo-putting, if anything it seems like it'd limit your distance significantly.

Is it the swirl in the middle that makes it special? I have seen the nubs on the edge before but not the swirl. I was wondering if anyone made a driver with something similar on the bottom.

It certainly isn't on the APPROVED DISCS list.
It was approved, then the PDGA decided to rescind the approval. Then Quest threatened to sue. Finally came to a compromise that it would be legal through 2008 so Quest could sell the ones they had already made. As of Jan 1 of this year, it is no longer legal for PDGA play.

Ahh, yes. The 10 Meter Brick has to be the Ford Pinto of putters. I think using an actual brick would net more accuracy if it didn't damage the basket.
At least a 10 M Brick doesn't burst into flames when it's hit from behind.

Actually, that would make it a much cooler disc than it is. :p

Is it the swirl in the middle that makes it special? I have seen the nubs on the edge before but not the swirl. I was wondering if anyone made a driver with something similar on the bottom.

I believe the swirls on the bottom about a centimeter in depth and are there to help you hold the disc before releasing a turbo putt. You use the swirls to use your thumb to push the disc against your fingers if that makes any sense. Doing a turbo putt with a normal disc, you just put your thumb somewhere in the middle and have to balance the disc before releasing.
I am not a turbo putter so these are my assumptions based on trying it a few times with one of my friends' turbo putter.

Quest is definitely a "different" kind of company.

I do really like my rock-it though...the dimples on the flight plain really do seem to give it some distance ability compared to a normal putter. I use it as a short distance mid and then switch to a putter though.

Talk about weird, there is apparently a random drunk guy singing somewhere in my apartment complex.

But in reality, when I was playing a lot of Ultimate I noticed something weird about discs. Rim depth was a preference and well there were some discs made with deeper rims than others. Discraft had particularly deep rims. Then when I began playing night games with a light up disc, I noticed that I had better control and less oat on my flicks with the disc. The only explination was the extra weight in the middle of the disc where the battery was. So, naturally seeing the swirl on the bottom makes me think that there might be some advantage to having that weight in the middle of the disc that might also help the turbo putts fly better. By the way, I would love to see Innova come out with a speed 13 or 14 disc that had a little bit of extra plastic right there in the middle. They could call the disc The Nub or The Tripod.

By the way, I would love to see Innova come out with a speed 13 or 14 disc that had a little bit of extra plastic right there in the middle. They could call the disc The Nub or The Tripod.

Why not the Chubby Hubby? I have a little bit around the middle these days. Ben and Jerry wouldn't mind.

Talk about weird, there is apparently a random drunk guy singing somewhere in my apartment complex.

But in reality, when I was playing a lot of Ultimate I noticed something weird about discs. Rim depth was a preference and well there were some discs made with deeper rims than others. Discraft had particularly deep rims. Then when I began playing night games with a light up disc, I noticed that I had better control and less oat on my flicks with the disc. The only explination was the extra weight in the middle of the disc where the battery was. So, naturally seeing the swirl on the bottom makes me think that there might be some advantage to having that weight in the middle of the disc that might also help the turbo putts fly better. By the way, I would love to see Innova come out with a speed 13 or 14 disc that had a little bit of extra plastic right there in the middle. They could call the disc The Nub or The Tripod.
Interesting.

Innova had a disc in the 90's called the Hammer. It was a Roc-type disc, except that it had a really thick flight plate. Discs cracking was really common at the time, and the Hammer was "unbreakable" supposedly. Really, it was just harder to crack becasue the weakest part of the disc (flight plate) was reinforced.

The Hammer was a lot shorter than the Roc and turned over easily. Basically the weight distribution was off. There was more of the weight of the disc in the center, less out on the wing. Because of that, the disc rotated more slowly. The slower rotation made the disc understable and distance-challenged. The disc WAS very popular with guys who came from an Ultimate background. Despite having a golf disc design, it flew more like the lids they were used to.

005-1.jpg

Or the Backbone?
My girlfriend has a whole bag worth of discs she carries, but probably throws an Ultralight Raging Inferno DT and a 169 SRP Backbone for about 90% of her shots... the other 10% are various Cobras.

I believe the swirls on the bottom about a centimeter in depth and are there to help you hold the disc before releasing a turbo putt. You use the swirls to use your thumb to push the disc against your fingers if that makes any sense. Doing a turbo putt with a normal disc, you just put your thumb somewhere in the middle and have to balance the disc before releasing.
I am not a turbo putter so these are my assumptions based on trying it a few times with one of my friends' turbo putter.

That makes more sense about the swirls then what I was thinking. I thought they were there to help the spin somehow, but then wouldn't that mean they would need to make a left handed version to accommodate the reverse spin? But I guess that is not the intended purpose.

I've played around with turbo putting a little, and I can see how the ridges would help you spin the wing of the disc with your finger better. I've noticed that if my index finger is slightly wet, I can get more power on it, so anything that can give your finger more traction with the outside of the disc would help.

Latest posts