• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Texas State Championships NT

I dont think its personal. Thats what irritates me. That comments like that would be made at ricks expense whenever its not personal. That he would effectively crap on a major win like that because he was using a putter he was comfortable with.

Maybe im wrong. Id be happy if i was.

Maybe youve given him the out he needs to play this off like it was something else. Who knows.

I'm just picturing it as myself and any other local guy I compete against. We takes jabs at each other all the time and especially when one of us wins something. I just cant buy into it being that personal. Who does he need an out with? Us? The only person that he could possibly have to apologize to is Ricky and like I said I just can't see it being taken that seriously.

You obviously misinterpreted my intent. That's exactly what I was saying. They don't have to be 100% and an occasional coop-company.. So I guess we agreed, and wasted everyone's time.

Now back to Texas States ... is there any video of the bad wind-blown approached by Weese on 12 or Cat Allens drive up against the Tahoe and not being able to get a true stance because someone PARKED on the fairway? Whoever that was could have parked in the grass on the other side of the parking lot if the lot was full when they pulled up.

Wasting time? Lol, now that the tourney is over this whole thread is a waste of time. An entertaining waste of time, but a waste of time nonetheless. So put in another trash liner, because the wasting will continue.

You said a Discmania pro could use KC Aviars. I somehow doubt this. Sure they can use them, but somehow I see Discmania wanting their pros to use the P1 or P2 as their go-to putter. I don't think the stipulations of company cooperation are nearly as open as that. But again I don't know and you don't know, so we can continue to "waste people's time."

You said a Discmania pro could use KC Aviars. I somehow doubt this. Sure they can use them, but somehow I see Discmania wanting their pros to use the P1 or P2 as their go-to putter. I don't think the stipulations of company cooperation are nearly as open as that. But again I don't know and you don't know, so we can continue to "waste people's time."

Innova/DM/Millennium folks can generally use any disc from these 3 companies. Or any Innova produced discs like Hyzer Bomb stuff

Innova/DM/Millennium folks can generally use any disc from these 3 companies. Or any Innova produced discs like Hyzer Bomb stuff

I was hoping you would chime in, since you actually have an answer. Appreciate it man!

However, is it heavily suggested that you need to use that specific company or line's main putter?

Gateway told JohnE McCray that he could throw any brand he wanted - but he throws all all Gateway bag because they are his sponsor and believes in the company....and the guy ain't doing half bad so far!!

That's a guy I can get behind and support.

I was hoping you would chime in, since you actually have an answer. Appreciate it man!

However, is it heavily suggested that you need to use that specific company or line's main putter?

Wasn't for me but my agreement is really just as a regional promoter with Mill. I actually asked them about all that and they said to use whatever works best as long is was Innova manufactured. That was however back when Millennium only had the Omega and hadn't released the Big Bead yet. Didn't McBeth get a run of P2s from DM before the McPro came out? You can find the Omega SS listed in a variety of Innova team gear pages. It would be silly to discourage it

Maybe the prodigy guys aren't using innova discs all the time. In the case of last year's memorial and the firebird incident, is that because prodigy didn't at the time have an answer to the firebird for those conditions?

As for the Texas states incident, who's to say Ricky isn't using prodigy putters for the 99% of other tournament situations where the wind isn't like it was this weekend? Kc pro aviar seems like a pretty well respected windy putter that prodigy doesn't yet have an answer for.

Hard to blame prodigy for allowing mixed bags if they haven't developed a full disc line yet. And hard to blame a still relatively new company for not covering evey mold in production this soon out of the gate. But I will blame prodigy players who use other discs from not being transparent about it. Nothing to hide; you are a world class disc golf professional who expects the best from a performance standard out of every disc you bag. Your sponsor just isn't there yet but you have faith they will be, don't be afraid to throw what you are allowed to by your sponsor and even more so, don't go out of your way to conceal it

They won't tell you they use other stuff because they don't want you buying anything but Prodigy. Duh, come on its all about the all mighty dollar.

They won't tell you they use other stuff because they don't want you buying anything but Prodigy. Duh, come on its all about the all mighty dollar.

exactly. nikko is the smartest one about it, custom stamp all your discs so you can't tell, unless you're in person and can totally tell some of those plastics aren't made by prodigy.

"the f's are good for keeping condensation off your table from a beer, thats about it" direct quote to me from a team member. so they're not all total fans of everything.

Who are the Prodigy sponsored pros playing in C-Tiers? That's some bull**** right there.

I guess every team has their superstars and supporting cast, but these are supposed to be the top young stars of today and it sucks to see these baggers hogging up all the $200 purses.

I don't think of the Aviar-gate deal as being all that dramatic. I think the trash talk/friendly banter is pretty entertaining though, not something you see a ton of publicly on social media I feel like - or at least not that I've noticed.

However, I do enjoy seeing what mixed bag players throw though. I think for folks who pay more attention to that kind of thing, it's interesting and speaks volumes to a mold when a pro can use whatever discs they please and choose a specific disc.

In the end though, the fact that a prodigy player is throwing innova is going to have almost zero affect on the on the bottom line for prodigy, as I'm sure there's only a niche market that pays attention to that kind of thing.

I don't really have any brand loyalty and don't have a horse in the race. But, I did find it kind of suspect that a lot of prodigy loyalist and some of their team members arguing that the putter he used didn't even matter because Wysocki's drives were so good, which is silly, if that were the case then he could've just tapped in with a PA1 or something. But I guess that was some knee-jerk damage control.

When I rode BMX, pros would call out other dudes all the time.

Usually when someone went for a Huffy or Mongoose sponsorship.

(Who made frames)

And then they would still ride their Terrible One or S&M.

I feel this is a similar situation.

The guys on Prodigy should be called out.

They're supposed to be all Prodigy and you can't really say your discs are better than other manufacturers when you're still using the other guys stuff.

I mean come on.

Prodigy's whole deal is that their stuff is so much better than everyone else's.

Well apparently not. I think McBeth was right to call him out. Serves him right.

If you're on the team and reaping the benefits, then be on the team 100%.

My .02 cents.

The difference is, Prodigy doesn't have a Big Bead putter. It's all about confidence and feel, and in a NT, especially in the wind, I don't blame Ricky for going to a putter he knows can handle the wind. It's not that KC Aviar is better, it's that Prodigy doesn't make something that he's comfortable with yet.

I don't see why people care that much about what other people are throwing. The only people that should care are the sponsors, and since they apparently don't, why should anyone else? It's still a PDGA legal disc, and he's not doing anything illegal or wrong. This entire conversation is silly, and people getting bent out of shape about it are silly.

Watch the third day coverage. Ricky did putt pretty solid, but McBeth throwing OB over and over again is the real reason he should be salty about the loss. Ricky's putter was solid, but he drove 5x better than McBeth, and I haven't heard anything about him using non-Prodigy drivers(other than the silly conspiracy theorists on here).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMEGqPDBSQ at 1700 you can see it has a prodigy hot stamp. If I owned a company and they took my brand off and put another competitors brand on I would be pissed. It should be a black eye that they would do that and I am in full agreement with McBeth now. If he was using an aviar with the standard Innova stamp that would be very, very different.

Of course they can't go to 100% Prodigy. If you want to win you need to be using Innova. That's the straight truth right there.

I can see why McBeast would take a jab at them. Sponsor the crap and still throw the best.

As far as ULI, Sad to see him struggle so hard on camera all the time. If he could putt he could hang a little bit better.

Way to go Rickie on a great win. Seems like a good dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMEGqPDBSQ at 1700 you can see it has a prodigy hot stamp. If I owned a company and they took my brand off and put another competitors brand on I would be pissed. It should be a black eye that they would do that and I am in full agreement with McBeth now. If he was using an aviar with the standard Innova stamp that would be very, very different.

not abnormal or surprising, i don't have an opinion on it being right or wrong. But they've been doing that for a while i thought, until they get out their full line up, as do some other brands that don't have a full line up, eg legacy. I always wondered what innova or any brand thought of that kind of stuff happening though.

Latest posts