• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Idlewild Open Aug. 17-19 Burlington, Ky

I have noticed this before too, but why does MJ turn away from his shot so fast? Cant always tell if he turns back again to see where it lands and what may happen after it touches the ground but to me that just looks weird. Hes a pro and Im sure he pays attention as much as he needs to, but in an AM setting I hate when people do that. Especially when they do it after a terrible drive that the group then has to search for. :/

Yep, I saw ya! Sorry to see Matt struggle today, but I think everybody recognized (& the announcers talked about it) how quickly Idlewild can cost even the best players a lot of strokes.

Still, and even with the rain and obvious humidity, the place looks really good. Thank You Bill Alich and Fred Salaz, plus everyone else who helped! The work showed on camera.

Shame I've got the new job and can't make it out there til Saturday :(

(ps: the new baskets are gorgeous).

I watched a few holes. That's the first time I've seen Matt not look comfortable and not confident. Seeing that he is actually human helped my league round play Thursday night. Hope he rebounds in a big way!

I was fortunate enough to get there to follow the top 2 cards. My big takeaway was watching MJ toss putters from the tee to dink and dunk his way to a nice score. Like Ledgestone, there's lots of OB to worry about. I bet some of the big arms will disc down and try to better set up their next shot today. The 1000 ft hole in particular was fun to watch. Most players on those 2 cards hit OB at least once (saw Koling do it twice). It's so tempting to crush a big drive from the tee but that OB can reverse plenty of forward progress (see Blakely).

I have noticed this before too, but why does MJ turn away from his shot so fast? Cant always tell if he turns back again to see where it lands and what may happen after it touches the ground but to me that just looks weird. Hes a pro and Im sure he pays attention as much as he needs to, but in an AM setting I hate when people do that. Especially when they do it after a terrible drive that the group then has to search for. :/

Because he does a mental calculation of where it's going to land that is 99% accurate. Or he's messing with his opponents. :D

Because he does a mental calculation of where it's going to land that is 99% accurate. Or he's messing with his opponents. :D

I'm sure when it feels like the shot he wanted, he knows where it's going to land. I hope he is messing with people. I've learned the last couple of years that younger guys can not stand getting beat by older dudes.

MJ has said that he clears himself off the teepad to keep play moving, but once he's off he turns around to see where his disc lands. Also, MJ isn't as old as every1 seems to think he is.

MJ has said that he clears himself off the teepad to keep play moving, but once he's off he turns around to see where his disc lands. Also, MJ isn't as old as every1 seems to think he is.

We're having fun with MJ. Clearly, he's one of the nicest guys out there.

MJ has jedi powers when it comes to spotting discs. My buddy and I took a road trip to play with pros and when we played with MJ, he not only would never lose his disc, but was able to direct us to any lost discs of ours from the other side of the fairway. :hfive:

I play with a guy who is very accurate about telling everyone on the card where their disc will land as soon as it starts flying. Even if he doesn't know what disc you threw, or has never played on your card before. We would be able to find all the discs even if everyone closed their eyes at that point.

That gives me hope that we can get that indoor disc golf simulator to work.

Wow, Weese having a full on meltdown. +12 through 14 holes. NO chance of coming back from that to win anymore.

I've been so excited about this event I did not even realize there is a world championships going on right now. I didn't even see a Masters Worlds thread on here.

live coverage is starting soon. Time to close the office door...:popcorn:

We're at that World Championships. Unfortunately no next days as they're playing 2 rounds a day some of the days. :(

You know how cool guys don't watch explosions? This is the DG equivalent.

I was fortunate enough to get there to follow the top 2 cards. My big takeaway was watching MJ toss putters from the tee to dink and dunk his way to a nice score. Like Ledgestone, there's lots of OB to worry about. I bet some of the big arms will disc down and try to better set up their next shot today. The 1000 ft hole in particular was fun to watch. Most players on those 2 cards hit OB at least once (saw Koling do it twice). It's so tempting to crush a big drive from the tee but that OB can reverse plenty of forward progress (see Blakely).

I loved seeing MJ disc down and play Idlewild smart. That's what you have to do there on a lot of the holes. Drivers will ricochet off a tree deep into the rough.

Watching live for first time and enjoying it. Watching on mute (sorry commentators) and wish the pre-shot graphics listed the shot/toss number, say in the blue box on the lower left. Not sure what's been tried out previously and how complicated "live" stat graphics are to load, but I'm more interested in knowing the "now" details compared with previous round data.

But, minor detail. Enjoying it.

Watching live for first time and enjoying it. Watching on mute (sorry commentators) and wish the pre-shot graphics listed the shot/toss number, say in the blue box on the lower left. Not sure what's been tried out previously and how complicated "live" stat graphics are to load, but I'm more interested in knowing the "now" details compared with previous round data.

But, minor detail. Enjoying it.

agreed, TM and SD are not listenable...especially when they attempt humor.

I thought they did really well. It is never going to be as clean and cute as what Sexton can do in edited coverage. Having to cover things live without a perfect view and fill in for 4 hours vs. 1 hour of cleanly framed edited coverage. We have to understand the difficulties and appreciate what we've got (for free).

I've got to give it up to Dodge for the women's coverage. He did a fantastic job with that in round two, much improved over round one. The editing flow was better, the audio volume was good, he even managed to show some emotion on shots he had already seen in editing.

Thank you guys for what you do for us for free with your time off work, know that 9 out of 10 of us are very grateful even if we're not as easy to hear.

Latest posts