• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Discraft Great Lakes Open July 24-26

The tee pads are unacceptably dangerous.

While there were a few slips here and there I wouldn't consider the tee pads dangerous by any stretch of the imagination.
Besides most of the tee areas were 10-12 feet wide to allow players to throw from either side.

I used to think Jamie's commentary was great, but lately he seems unprepared. Nate on the other hand is the complete opposite, over compensating as usual. They just need to chill a bit, limit the verbiage count and never talk when someone is throwing, putting and they will be fine. But wow... Valarie Doss, that voice....is just pure nasal shrill. She needs some vocal coaching how to project her voice away from her "head voice" and more towards her "chest voice" for those other musicians that understand that. lol...

Video production, streaming, etc, without a doubt....fantastic. The only thing that was obvious to me was when they cut to a player on a different card, they were able to superimpose the player's score, but not what hole they were on. We need to know that.

And I know people are split on this, but...it's seems weird seeing Jeff Springs doing player interviews, reminds of Dodge wanting the spotlight all the time in the past. Jeff needs to be the big cheese and just show up at the end and give out the big check, trophy, etc, with a hand shake and leave. lol.. They could learn alot from Jeremy Rusco (DD) and how he manages his public persona.

Video production, streaming, etc, without a doubt....fantastic. The only thing that was obvious to me was when they cut to a player on a different card, they were able to superimpose the player's score, but not what hole they were on. We need to know that.

That is tough for us to put on screen. Because we do jump around a bit with our non-featured cameras and our graphics are run by UDisc and linked to the lead card. But it is something we will be working on hopefully for next season if we can put together a new graphics package. I would like to have the hole they are on in their player lower third information. Baby steps...

That is tough for us to put on screen. Because we do jump around a bit with our non-featured cameras and our graphics are run by UDisc and linked to the lead card. But it is something we will be working on hopefully for next season if we can put together a new graphics package. I would like to have the hole they are on in their player lower third information. Baby steps...

Just make sure you catch the spotter's good side. ;) :D

10 the year doing this... always a good time. :)

I didn't time them, but I think James took more time than Nikko after each of them marked their lie. Both seemed very ldeliberate, but neither seemed excessive.
James canned his birdie putt. Nikko didn't.

DGPT, I'm disappointed.

Two times cutting to disc golf guy to fluff up the spectators who are violating the spirit of the the states no spectator rule. No reason for that to be on the coverage.

Me when I log on to YouTube and see all my favorite channels have new content:

giphy.gif

Had a wonderful day out spectating today......easy....we were parked across the road in a picnic area. The picnic area is nicely elevated, giving a good view of about 4 holes. Course look spectacular. I am not sure if the near majesty of this course comes through on video. It really is a scenic course. Social distance was poor among players, often seeing all four player in circle 1, at the same time. Also perplexed as to why some player had partners, girlfriend/boyfriends, friend walking along or caddying. Seems silly to make a rule that only some have to follow. I have to believe that a caddy on that course, on a pretty hot day, would be a big advantage. Saw AB take a provisional for a shot on the road. While always a good idea, I am not sure where any ambiguity lies. Even squeezed in 18 holes on one of the permanent courses in the park.

Really hope Kevin Jones wins it this year. He and James Conrad are my favorite players. I just like the way they go about their game, and the way they come across in person...they seem so genuine. Can't knock Eagle or Simon...they make the game fun, and that's what the game's about.

Holly had brutally thorny lie, and took it like a champ... ultra composed and smiling the whole time. Even joked about it. Wonderful ambassador for the game.

The volunteer pack is pretty sweet:
- 2020 Ledgestone Crystal sparkle Buzzz
- 2020 Ledgestone McBeth signature Crystal sparkle Undertaker
- 2020 Ledgestone Big Z XL
- ESP Zone
- Big Z Vulture
...not misprints or or factory 2nds. These are discs folks pay top dollar for.

Discraft spandex type neck gaiter (can be worn as mask)
Microfiber towel
Plastic water bottle with one-way squirt valve
...all in a Discraft drawstring backpack.

Even though John Minicuci wasn't the TD this year, the entire staff are the same guys who've been working with him on DGLO and USADGC since 2013. This year's TD was an already familiar face. Jacob Stahl (I don't recall him being part of this in years past) was a nice addition to this year's staff.

Even got to catch up with RU4 afterward, and have to agree - social distancing was not well adhered to at all.

Course is in the best shape I've ever seen it, but...

Nothing makes me appreciate a shower more, than a day humping through brush searching for plastic.

Last edited:
Social distancing has not been well adhered to at these DGPT events because that would require 1) a desire to do so, 2) development of habits that facilitate social distancing including the revision of habits that undermine social distancing, and 3) communal expectation that everyone cares about #1 and #2.

There's ample photographic and video evidence that demonstrates none of the above is true.

I had to make a very active effort to maintain distance from players and other volunteers/staff members who seemed to not give a crap about doing so. I made it a point to tell players, "Just leave the flags there. I'll get them after you hole out."

DG is a splendid social distance friendly activity.
But people seem unwilling to actually change their habits.

What really pissed me off is that some player complained volunteers weren't wearing masks. I never came within 10 ft anyone. Other folks were coming too close to me, constantly causing me to back off to maintain space.

We had all the freaking space in the world.
No one needs to wear a mask if we just use it.

Last edited:
Agreed...Ignorance is bliss...

Social distancing has not been well adhered to at these DGPT events because that would require 1) a desire to do so, 2) development of habits that facilitate social distancing including the revision of habits that undermine social distancing, and 3) communal expectation that everyone cares about #1 and #2.

There's ample photographic and video evidence that demonstrates none of the above is true.

:( :mad: :wall:
Really disappointing that Disc Golf is perfectly made for social distancing, yet most of

the coverage thus far shows so little care given. It would be so simple to follow Guidelines.

Latest posts