• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making your shoulder lever longer

True, but it's light years away, relatively speaking, from a disc being tucked into the abdomen/chest area.

That's because it's pecs and obliques vs lats and rear delts. It's mirrored, just with an opposite direction of arm movement. The point isn't that it's being tucked into a power pocket. The point is that it's mirrored in as much as the human body is capable. It's the same swing, just mirrored and using different arm muscles.

I disagree that his torso is rotating around the hip. If that were so, shouldn't his right hip be mostly stationary instead of moving from right to left?

I agree that the whole body pivots around the brace foot pressure and that the pivot does extend upwards. But the flight of the disc is most dependent upon the axis and rotation angles of the torso, spine. The question of importance I guess is can one make that line of rotation travel up from the brace into the upper body and be somewhere besides the spine such as the shoulder? I don't believe so. The Gifs I made pretty clearly show the center of rotation is centered pretty closely around the spine area. The head is connected to the spine and thus why you see the head remain relatively stationary in line with the axis of rotation.

As tough as it is you need to understand that spinal rotation is not the engine behind the throw. It's a downswing leveraged by the brace using the trail side and lower body to slingshot the disc. Hip rotation is not the goal, it's a byproduct of proper bracing and leverage. I know it's hard and it seems counterintuitive but hip rotation is not the engine - it's a byproduct. If you trust us and buy into what we've all learned over the years you'll be so much better off, both with taking care of your body and distance achieved. We're not doing this for the sake of arguing. We're not doing this for our ego's sake. We're doing this to try and help someone because we have all been there before, and we've seen the other side, and want to help you as much as we can to keep you from the years of frustration we all endured.

Pure Rodeo Trolling Action here! Necro bumping an older technique thread just to take a sh#$%t on the good advice that was given here. Please stop f(*&%$$#ing up every technique thread with your BS advice.:sick:Please keep your comments onto threads you have started and leave the rest of the technique threads alone.

This thread is now a "Rodeo Free Zone!"

Not going to appease your trolling. Good day.

This thread here is a perfect example of why you were banned from the technique forums. It was a great thread with some small gems of knowledge that you necro-bumped just so you could take a big stinking crap all over it. While you may enjoy the smell of your own crap, no one else here does!

Now every technique thread a RoDeO Free Zone, not just this one. :hfive::hfive::hfive:

Thanks to all the arguing that lead to several great posts, I now have a far better knowledge of how the upper body works in the swing. I was thinking of everything moving around the spine equally. I was actually questioning that the other day while watching James Conrad throw. It's easy to see where his center of rotation is, since he launches his body over it.

What is the context of this gif? I haven't seen it before, seems optimal for disc golf. Anyone use it extensively?

Baseball pitchers do this to train their rear shoulder to be able to hold up to the forces produced by throwing high velocity pitches.

The way I heard it described was like how you need high performance brakes if you are driving a high performance car that goes fast. People are all about throwing velocity (or distance for disc golfers) but the support structures need to be trained as well.

What is the context of this gif? I haven't seen it before, seems optimal for disc golf. Anyone use it extensively?
The BH equivalent of this pitching drill would be throwing FH, but still useful as a BH drill.

Baseball pitchers do this to train the rear side of the throwing shoulder to be able to hold up to the forces produced by throwing high velocity pitches.

The way I heard it described was like how you need high performance brakes if you are driving a high performance car that goes fast. People are all about throwing velocity (or distance for disc golfers) but the support structures need to be trained as well.

I think you meant ^. Rather than training the off shoulder.

I think you meant ^. Rather than training the off shoulder.

Yes, good clarification. Rear side of the throwing shoulder, not the off shoulder.

Not quite the same as reverse throwing, but on the subject of posterior shoulder training, I'll give a shout out to doing lots of band pull-aparts and face pulls. Gets some training volume for those rear delts and mid back muscles to help balance a lot of pressing movements. Also helps address the general kyphotic posture issues that a lot of people have as a result of too much sitting at a desk/looking at phones/screens. A good thing to do not just specifically for disc golfing but for general health and fitness.