• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opinion: Am I a bad person?

Am I a bad person?

• Yes

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 28.7%
  • Gary Busey

Votes: 88 45.1%

• Total voters
In the year and a half that I've been on this site, I've seen numerous threads like this. My question always is: Why does anyone give a crap what someone else throws or carries in their bag or whatever? I just don't get it. How does it affect you in any way? :confused:

It doesn't, and I think you're taking this thread a little too seriously...Gary Busey is a poll option, which I thought would be the universal giveaway that I'm being at least a little bit tongue-in-cheek with this...

Not harping on you, many others whiffed this one as well

Before I put in Gary Busy....did you suffer a severe head injury? Just need all the facts before I vote :)

Before I put in Gary Busy....did you suffer a severe head injury? Just need all the facts before I vote :)

No head injuries - though some say I'm not quite right to begin with :p

Believe in the Busey.

No head injuries - though some say I'm not quite right to begin with :p

Believe in the Busey.
Well, have you met ANYONE who is right in the head who plays disc golf.:)
OK, good old Gary it is and if you can sing a Buddy Holly(my fav. Gary movie) tune or two, you've nailed it ;)

If I am playing lets say, a 240-260ft hole, wide open, no trees or nothing.

Instead of throwing a midrange, that might blow past the basket, I will throw a Star Wraith, almost straight up, and a high angle of attack, and park it right next to the basket , with little to no skip.

Sure, I could have made it with a midrange, but I have practiced doing it and having more control with a driver.

Just because someone doesn't throw a certain disc on a certain shot, doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

If I am playing lets say, a 240-260ft hole, wide open, no trees or nothing.

Instead of throwing a midrange, that might blow past the basket, I will throw a Star Wraith, almost straight up, and a high angle of attack, and park it right next to the basket , with little to no skip.

Sure, I could have made it with a midrange, but I have practiced doing it and having more control with a driver.

Just because someone doesn't throw a certain disc on a certain shot, doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

+1...

It doesn't, and I think you're taking this thread a little too seriously...Gary Busey is a poll option, which I thought would be the universal giveaway that I'm being at least a little bit tongue-in-cheek with this...

Not harping on you, many others whiffed this one as well

Well, OK then. :eek:

Since someone wants to make the moronic comparison to ball golf, and how you never see players using a big driver for an upshot… I've never seen anyone in ball golf drive from the tee with a putter…

I love you guys… Oh, I can park a 300' hole with my putter… Good for you. I can park a 300' hole with a Buzzz or Teebird… Now give me some candy, b*tch!!!

Please quote back to me where I said this? (I'll save you the time, you won't find it).

Since someone wants to make the moronic comparison to ball golf, and how you never see players using a big driver for an upshot… I've never seen anyone in ball golf drive from the tee with a putter…

I love you guys… Oh, I can park a 300' hole with my putter… Good for you. I can park a 300' hole with a Buzzz or Teebird… Now give me some candy, b*tch!!!

lol alright, since you fired away get your suit on dog.

In disc golf our discs are called putt and approach discs. If you actually looked at a putter once in awhile you'd know that our putters don't strictly compare to golf putters, but also to wedges. In golf (since you obviously have no idea how it's played), wedges come in a variety of angles of clubface - the most common from 58- to 64-degrees. Since there is a club limit in PGA tournaments, many pros are known to remove some of the irons from their bag in favor of extra wedges in order to expand their arsenal of shots. This is similar to the disc golf line of thought "one mold of putter for putts, one mold for drives"

When we're talking about throwing putters of the tee, it's the equivalent of PGA pros using wedge, not a putter. This is common sense, please use it when reading posts. If we're really getting down to the nitty gritty details - a Putt and Approach disc can be the equivalent of an 8-iron thru a putter. I mean, ever wonder why Innova came out with a faster putter and literally called it a WEDGE?

...critical thinking skills are not just good for DGCR, they're good for life.

this is a roundabout way of admitting you putt with a boss

;)

Ive never used a Boss but ive used other drivers lol

Likely it was a conscious choice (maybe a skip shot, for example) that is better executed with a driver.

Again, this does not qualify for what I'm talking about.

Sure it does, im reffering to holes that a putter or midrange could make just as easy. no specialty shots, just park jobs.
Read your own post
I feel like I should clarify and say that I'm not talking strategic driver shots (i.e. skips or OH) but just plain ol' air shots where you'd pick a driver despite having the power level to get a mid or putter there...
sometimes a driver is a higher percentage shot. like i said go watch the footage i referred to. also, im amused you chose not to apply any context to the situation either. is this doubles league, singles leagues, tournaments, practice, what? if its doubles leagues or practice, then your dang straight you run at the basket not park it, and in that case your most likely will use a driver or midrange (of course your special).
and of course all the numerous 1000 rated pros who throw a driver on any open hole under 300' is an idiot to you as well. since they have the power to get there with a putter. and if thats the case, ever pro tournament ive watched their all idiots that you should be laughing at. chump

How many PGA pros do you see pulling out their driver on a 200yd. par 3? I can't name one time...It's an analogous situation. The angle of the clubface determines the type and amt. of spin put on a golf ball, just as a discs' rim characteristics determine much of it's flight tendencies. You use the tool best suited for the shot at hand. Just because your Katana goes 250' (and also 350' and 450') doesn't mean it's the best disc for the shot.

Who the F cares about the PGA and ball golf, totally different sport and tools. and you know what ive used a Ball golf putter (old school) a few times before to hit the ball like 150yds. works really well and straight as hell. all youre doing is proving how much of a pompous ass you are. (although i do agree with youre comparison between wedges/putters and disc golf discs...to an extent)

It's about breaking the mentality that "Tee Shot = Driver" and/or "Faster = Better because I KNOW I can throw this disc further than the basket"

Finally, it's not about "forcing" a disc, you're foolishly thinking that I'm painting a scenario where I try to make a putter go further than I can legitimately throw it. Again, I'm talking about throwing a disc that you KNOW you have the arm to reach the basket with, and not using more disc than you need.

first the people you are referring, im sure they know full well they can use a putter or midrange. their making a choice to use that disc for a reason. unknown to you unless they tell you. once again making you a pompous ass.
second, not everyone uses putters off the tee. its not necessary to be top rated. its another choice. and yes if you are throwing a putt and approach disc 300' you are throwing it out of its designed intent. so you are forcing it to go that far. i never said you were forcing it out of your range, since you said its in your range on the OP. uh oh someone made an inference and was wrong :doh:
also, based on your fantastic logic, if the hole is say 150' i should throw a superclass disc because i can throw a putter way past that. thats really intelligent...but your logic.
once again...someone who is truly skilled at the sport throws what works best to get the best score possible based on their individual game. what you think of their choice is meaningless and the fact you act so smug about it means your just a dick.
im down with you, youre nose is obviously pointed to far up to see anything clearly

Last edited:
I don't think youre a bad person but theres a lot of ways to play this game and yes sometimes advice on these forums is counterproductive....especially the putter, discing down and throwing flat

These all have their merits but too much emphasis can hinder your game....I will give a personal example

for years I was attempting to throw flat and achieve specific lines on my home course...I was hyzering out early over and over...so I decided to disc down which led me to flip the disc over repeatedly....believing I had form issues I just kept at it until in a zen moment a pro asked me what the hell was I doing
sheepishly I said "I'm trying to hit that line"
and he says "throw a flex"
in my mind I'm thinking oh nooooo the dgcr guys told me not to it will harm my game
I throw a flex on that hole to this day and the creek has become in my mind a small gulley instead of an expansive river......I then noticed that many of the pros are throwing flexes as well !

The point is take the dgcr advice with a grain of salt...its good advice for a field etc but on a course during a round when you are keeping score go with what works

The putter stuff really makes me laugh as often a putter is just too straight for many lines and often overpowering a putter from 300 ft causes greater inaccuracy than a 300 ft chip with a driver

theres too many variables in disc golf to make these silly mantras about what and when to throw this....just know your ability and your discs and use what works

oh nooooo the dgcr guys told me not to it will harm my game

The point is take the dgcr advice with a grain of salt...its good advice for a field etc but on a course during a round when you are keeping score go with what works

The putter stuff really makes me laugh as often a putter is just too straight for many lines and often overpowering a putter from 300 ft causes greater inaccuracy than a 300 ft chip with a driver

theres too many variables in disc golf to make these silly mantras about what and when to throw this....just know your ability and your discs and use what works

Amen.. if it works go with it, and have fun. I'll try stuff in practice and when playing by myself, but when I play with others I tend to go with what has worked most often.

I pulled out my star 150 class valk yesterday for a 100 to 110 foot fairway shot, and my buddy said "dont you think that you should throw your mid for that?" I quickly turned around and told him to keep his opinion of my disc selection to himself. He can drive better (farther) than me, but my second shot is always always always better that his. He is always left with a fifteen + foot putt while I am fairly consistent with around a five foot putt. He is one who believes that you should always throw a mid or putter if you are in the range for one. I on the other hand believe that you should know exactly what each disc in your bag will do at each power level. 25% 50% etc. I will not hesitate for one second to throw my boss at 25% power for a sixty foot sharp left turn. I know it will park.
After I turned back around I proceeded to throw my valk the 110 foot distance and park it directly under the basket. Then the only thing I had to do was wait for him to putt his 17 foot putt. And make sure I did not drop my valk while pulling it out from under the basket.

I vote Gary on this one....

"I can go over to your mommas house and start a small fire in her Fade Crunch Box!"
images

On the reals though: Who cares what disc someone else throws on any particular throw? Do what you do and then laugh on the inside.

I believe in using the disc I want to use.. so I will often underpower a driver disc to go a short distance and then rely on fade to do what it should to an underpowered driver...

but yeah... usually I'd agree with using a putter to get to the pin on a short hole... just depends
I don't think you're a bad person...but mebe a gary busey (whatever that means).

FWIW I don't throw any mids... my putters seem to be just fine as mids and I use some drivers where others would choose a mid... just my way of doing it

long ass post which shows I don't read anything, take things completely out of context, and have the comprehension skills of a 4th grader

fail post. If you're going to quote what I say back to me (uhhh...the person that said it) you might want to make sure you understand it first. I don't even need to reply to your quotes because - quite hilariously - you quoted a post of mine explaining the context of a previous post to someone who took it out of context, then you went and did the exact same thing! :doh:

...and to people who still don't get it, before posting, please know that I don't really care what disc you throw off the tee. This thread was only half serious (as I've explained 3 times now).

For the record......Cubby just got his 450th ace on a 200ish hole with a firebird. (true story check his FB page) You can all shove your putter for everything under 250 in Busey's fat mouth!

Busey prefers midranges actually. He told me Gators taste like chicken, and when I asked, "Alligators?" He screamed, punched me in the face and ran away.

Latest posts