• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17

That's the risk you take by not limiting a field at an event like this. It doesn't matter today. It probably won't matter next year in Utah. But at some point, it will.

There are plenty of people here who are perfectly content with it never mattering.

Meh... overall Eureka has so many areas that just aren't visually appealing. I was so glad when I realized the other day that they were playing the other course as well. I'm excited to see round 4,.

Funny thing is probably the best hole out there is hole 8. And then they don't mark the creek and turn that into a crap hole.

You have to plan for 2K spectators for the final round of worlds, especially on a Saturday. It's just not possible to have 2K people following a group at a course like Northwood.

Does the live signal play a part of that? Of course. But it's not nearly the issue that the logistics of people cause.

Crowd control on Wednesday with about 150 spectators was hard enough. I'm not looking forward to this afternoon. I can't imagine dealing with a final round out here.

The problem with this is this makes perfect sense to us. Because we understand ratings and we understanding why Lloyd can play.

At the top of the sport we have got to stop thinking internally - which is what this post is, internal thought - and think externally.

People don't understand what a 750 rated player is or what that means or even why he is allowed to play. People understand that by watching him play and seeing his scores that the game isn't serious at the highest level.

That's the risk you take by not limiting a field at an event like this. It doesn't matter today. It probably won't matter next year in Utah. But at some point, it will.

Why do we give a **** what people from the outside think? Are they really looking at the bottom of the standings? Paying attention to the B-pool of the event? Quick, who finished at the bottom of the PGA Championship this year? Now who won the tournament? Easier to answer the latter than the former, no?

Sorry, I just don't buy into the think externally thing. Why should we be making sacrifices and changes to our events to cater to observers who quite frankly may not exist? It's an inferiority complex that I don't think helps anything.

My worlds viewing experience:

Day after Rnd 1: I know Emerson shot hot, don't know anything else - watch one featured card, can't bring myself to watch a second round in a row at Eureka.

Day after Rnd 2: I kept myself pretty isolated from disc media and no one mentioned anything to me at league, I get to see Paul and Emerson just play awesome at Northwood. So cool. Watched the Rico/Sexton/roller round too. Getting worried Paul might be in the drivers seat with only a first-timer really giving him a fight. After finishing watching the round, knowing Round 3 was at Eureka - I opt to skip it entirely and spoiler the round by checking out results. Sure enough, Paul has a nice chunk now.

I can't wait to see Round 4 at Northwood, but honestly - unless Paul does something we don't expect (something un-Paul-like) I don't anticipate watching Round 5. Paul has 4 on a guy who is in his first chance at this, and has 8 on the rest. If it was at a nicer course to watch I'd check out Paul's coronation... but barring something crazy happening today?

Well, I hope something crazy happens today. Something to get me to watch Eureka. But Eureka isn't getting me to watch Eureka.

I can't wait to see Round 4 at Northwood, but honestly - unless Paul does something we don't expect (something un-Paul-like) I don't anticipate watching Round 5. Paul has 4 on a guy who is in his first chance at this, and has 8 on the rest. If it was at a nicer course to watch I'd check out Paul's coronation... but barring something crazy happening today?

Today at Northwood Gold is definitely the gauntlet that McBeth has to run. If he can maintain a similar lead over the field going into the final round, it's tough to imagine anyone catching him on Eureka. Northwood, though, has the potential to really punish, especially that thick rough that we saw a few players run afoul of in the Round 2 coverage. And I always shudder when I see a bunch of randomly scattered little tree trunks crowding in a very tight "fair"way; that's a recipe for randomizing results.

So considering all that, it'll be interesting to see if McBeth keeps the same game plan as he did on Round 2. He doesn't necessarily "need" to be as aggressive as he previously was, especially depending on how the rest of the field fares. But then again, with 36 holes left to play, not sure if it's too early to start easing off the gas and pacing the field.

Going to be fun to see how it all shakes out!

Catrina is 43rd in Circle 1X putting and is one throw out of the lead. She has made 47%. Unreal. If she could putt this would be over already.

Today at Northwood Gold is definitely the gauntlet that McBeth has to run. If he can maintain a similar lead over the field going into the final round, it's tough to imagine anyone catching him on Eureka. Northwood, though, has the potential to really punish, especially that thick rough that we saw a few players run afoul of in the Round 2 coverage. And I always shudder when I see a bunch of randomly scattered little tree trunks crowding in a very tight "fair"way; that's a recipe for randomizing results.

So considering all that, it'll be interesting to see if McBeth keeps the same game plan as he did on Round 2. He doesn't necessarily "need" to be as aggressive as he previously was, especially depending on how the rest of the field fares. But then again, with 36 holes left to play, not sure if it's too early to start easing off the gas and pacing the field.

Going to be fun to see how it all shakes out!

This is exactly why they need to finish at Northwoods. Eureka is just a victory lap for McBeth, but at least they will have 2000+ spectators guyz!!!! :|

This is exactly why they need to finish at Northwoods. Eureka is just a victory lap for McBeth, but at least they will have 2000+ spectators guyz!!!! :|

You shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

You shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

I'm not counting any chickens, I'm just saying if there is a course that will create some great last round drama, it's Northwoods, not Eureka. But Spectators > Quality DG, I guess.

I'm not counting any chickens, I'm just saying if there is a course that will create some great last round drama, it's Northwoods, not Eureka. But Spectators > Quality DG, I guess.

Don't courses with less scoring separation create more drama?

I know a lot of folks hate Lake Eureka, and it's for sure not my favorite course, but with Northwood in the mix I think this event has all the holes to determine the best all around player - at least this week.

I thought Vermont was excellent as well.

What I will say about Northwood is I wish they had a layer of rough that players could scramble from. Maybe the first 50 feet or so off the fairway should have the underbrush removed. Keep the trees and create hard scramble shots, but give players something. I don't like watching folks have to pitch out to the middle after getting an unfavorable skip or root hit in the fairway.

Spectators + cell service > quality course. I'm about to head back to Northwoods to watch but haven't had any desire to watch eureka temp. Seen it once during ledgestone no interest in going back. Just wait till NW Golds goes full 18 we'll have two quality courses on one property..... but still crappy cell service lol. I will agree spectating out there is a nightmare 2k people good luck seeing anything.

Latest posts