• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What was your first disc(s)? Don't be shy, give details.

Pink Champion Starfire...found it while jogging through my local park. Never played disc golf before and always thought it was a gimmick until I tried throwing it off hole one and it just knifed left. I then realized it wasn't a joke and the addiction began.

Played with found/borrowed discs for the first couple of years until I bought my first brand new one. It was a blurple Champion Beast, not long after they were released. I still have it.

Same size as an Aviar. Guess you've never had one in your hands.

Nope, but I have had that one disc from Destiny Discs in my hand but the one mold that was ban for stiffness and had the golf ball dimples on the disc. That disc was about the size of a ROC or just slightly bigger. It did say on the disc NOT PDGA approved about the same size as on other disc golf discs.

A buddy and I were invited to play when were were in college, 1989ish. We didn't know we needed anything, we had Frisbees and got laughed at. We bought one golf disc apiece from random "dude selling discs out of his van" in the parking lot. One of them was a Phantom +. The other one was an Aviar XD. I think mine was the Phantom +, but 29 years will do something to your memory.

Neither of us was any good. We were mocked for the entire round; the guys who invited us were townies from work and they had a good time making fun of the "college boys." It wasn't fun. I had driven us to the park, and at the end we threw the disc in the trunk of my car.

Later that fall I was stuck in Kansas City killing time in Swope Park with a different dude and we drove by the course there. I told the guy I had golf discs in the trunk so we stopped and played. Neither of us was any good. It was more fun without dudes making "college boy" comments every time I shanked a drive or missed a putt.

I played every now and then for the next four years, then I sold the car. The two discs were still in the trunk. :\

First disc I ever played with my awesome Lightning #1 Helix. Played with it for most of a year till I lost in some tall pines. Then bought another #1 Helix, Z Avenger (1st run), and Proline Orc. After playing with latter two, never went back to the Helix.

First disc I threw was an LS Polaris. First disc I owned was a DX Raven. Both are long relegated to the dustbin of lost plastic, but you never forget your first.

The first time I took my daughters disc-golfing (at ages 5 and 7), I had an old wham-o frisbee and had bought them each a cheapo walmart catch disc. My 5 year old shattered her cheapo disk on a tree on her second throw. So we went back to Walmart and bought real disc golf discs. Innova DX Aeros for them, and an Innova DX Ace for me. Still have the Ace, but not in my bag.

A black JLS. Bought it used out of the back of someone's truck. Had a few others a friend was letting me borrow, but the JLS was the first I actually bought. First new disc was a Surge SS that was too much disc for me. Traded it in for a Z Glo Stalker and it turned into one of my favorite discs ever.

My first disc owned was a blue Innova Destroyer DX that someone gave me, during an invite to play with a group. I was hooked immediately. I later purchased a Discraft starter set with bag, and my new addiction took off from there. :)

From 3 years ago. Still have it, and it still spends most of its time in my bag.
160 gram DX Roc that I picked up at ODell Brewing.

Innova starter pack. I then read in here that the Champion Boss was a good forehand disc so I bought a Feldberg Boss. This was in 2009. I was a tennis player with a strong forehand and serve game, so naturally I wanted to forehand discs.

I honestly don't regret the purchase.

Wham-O 41 F mold.

High Rigidity was the first freestyle disc for me and my Brother.

Champion Monster
DX Gazelle
Star Dart

Yeah. I did literally zero research. Obviously. Then I started studying the little insert that came with my Innova starter bag, and from there the internet... So I bought everything that had a nice sounding flight path (none of which work when you're a noob). And ultimately came back to the Gazelle, which still works for me better than anything else. The Monster was replaced by a Firebird and then a Banshee. The Dart was replaced by an Aviar, and then an Ion, Anode, and Pure.

Innova 3 pack back in 98... 2-chain aviar, dx shark, dx cheetah. Still have the beat to hell aviar and cheetah. The box the cheetah is in in my garage just spontaneously turns right.

Next adds were a stingray, xl, and x2. The shark died on a 30 degree morning and was replaced by an mrx.

Latest posts