• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 MVP Open at Maple Hill Sept 11-13

I'm guessing when Dodge wrote the OB rule for hole 8 he didn't foresee shots going into a different pond when he wrote "in the water".
At the time it happened he ruled that way, but afterwards he decided that traditional OB rules should apply since McBeth's throw had flown in-bounds for a good length so he reversed his decision.
In my opinion he ruled correctly when he reversed his first ruling.

Passing over or flying through an in-bounds area shouldn't come into play on this ruling. If a tee shot had touched ground next to the basket, hit a root, and rolled backward into the main pond, the player would still go to the drop zone.

The only possible factor that led to them clarifying the rules mid-tournament is that the second pond was shown in a red area on the map.

This was a quick list, I am sure I forgot some tasks. I get where posting payouts for fan curiosity, could be outside this list of priorities. I am not saying it should not be done, I am saying it just seems entitled, for folks to expect it be done tournament night or to their convenience. I suggest good tournaments make players happy, not distant followers of a player. Just my opinion. :D

The on-site posted payout doesn't account for ties. It's required to post them before the last round, and I assume MVP stapled a couple of copies to the wall for everyone to see. But then after the round, you still have to go back into TM to split the money to account for ties. Posting the payouts to the PDGA results page comes before sending money to the players.

Additionally, I continue to be shocked at how few tournaments use the "Publish Payouts" feature in TM. It posts the projected payouts for the professional divisions as a link on the PDGA results page. (and keeps the up to date if you change any of the financial information/inputs.)
7DLt0KP.jpg

Back to McBeth--watching him play and when rules issues come up for other players, he seems to be fairly front and center discussing OB or whatever the question is. We aren't there and don't hear all of the discussion, but it seems to me that he tends to favor the player in assessing situations which seems very sportsmanlike. I could be wrong--just my impression.

To offer some context:

IIRC, at Worlds in 2016 (Emporia), he played the out-of-bounds incorrectly on Hole 8 at Jones East, learned of his mistake, and asked the TD to give him the strokes for the misplay after the round.

On the surface, at least, it appears he is man enough to take the penalty when he knows it applies, and doesn't argue exclusively to his benefit.

I'm pretty sure I know. I want Jeff to say it.

Hi John.

Yes, I will go ahead and say it. I was indeed the volunteer who uploaded those final payouts in a timely manner at the GMC.

I don't however think that I was being disingenuous by not previously mentioning such. This is not rocket science! Every TD, Assistant TD, or Scoring Director for every other PDGA Major, NT, or DGPT event uploads the payouts in a timely manner...within an hour or two of the tournament completion, so that every player and fan can see exactly how much they got paid. It takes like 20 minutes to do it in a spreadsheet, or folks can use the aforementioned online "Publish Payout" resource in the PDGA Tournament Manager.

And quite frankly, it's an embarrassment that the same hasn't happened at the MVP Open the last two years. And that's why I am calling them out now and will continue to do so every year that this continues. It shouldn't take until 8:45 AM the Monday morning after the event for players to see their payouts; that is just not acceptable for a premier tournament like the MVP Open.

I wish i could have gave Paul "Austins" old used esp Force. He just couldnt get that yellow one to flip for him. This one is a lil more seasoned.

(Btw, bought it off ebay without knowing , watch AH "go-to" vid on youtube, messaged on FB, AH told me to keep it)

Attachments

• 20200914_220405.jpg
    20200914_220405.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
To offer some context:

IIRC, at Worlds in 2016 (Emporia), he played the out-of-bounds incorrectly on Hole 8 at Jones East, learned of his mistake, and asked the TD to give him the strokes for the misplay after the round.

On the surface, at least, it appears he is man enough to take the penalty when he knows it applies, and doesn't argue exclusively to his benefit.

yeah i agree

def not something you would see in fpo

Hi John.

Yes, I will go ahead and say it. I was indeed the volunteer who uploaded those final payouts in a timely manner at the GMC.

I don't however think that I was being disingenuous by not previously mentioning such. This is not rocket science! Every TD, Assistant TD, or Scoring Director for every other PDGA Major, NT, or DGPT event uploads the payouts in a timely manner...within an hour or two of the tournament completion, so that every player and fan can see exactly how much they got paid. It takes like 20 minutes to do it in a spreadsheet, or folks can use the aforementioned online "Publish Payout" resource in the PDGA Tournament Manager.

And quite frankly, it's an embarrassment that the same hasn't happened at the MVP Open the last two years. And that's why I am calling them out now and will continue to do so every year that this continues. It shouldn't take until 8:45 AM the Monday morning after the event for players to see their payouts; that is just not acceptable for a premier tournament like the MVP Open.

Maybe they could use your help? :clap:

Hannah has no reason to be there...except you know...her husband.

I realize I'm a bit late on this, but you are flat out wrong. Hannah is one of the most insightful commentators in our sport. She shines when she is in the booth, as she is one of the few commentators who actually prepare by doing good research. She knows what she's talking about.

Did she get to that position because of her husband? I don't know. But even if that's the case, worst case scenario is that she's an extremely educated commentator who can get the insider scoop into the top-rated players mind anytime. Regardless of how she got the position, she's proven that she deserves it.

Wow... Dodge reversed the ruling on McBeths shot on 8 yesterday.

McBeth 2 back of Rick with 18 to play. Should be an interesting day!

Just an FYI, the PDGA rules committee was responsible for the switch. I'll let you all ponder who called them.

IMO..........Water OB is water OB, regardless of what color shading is on a picture. :|

Oh and a up until this point, i THOUGHT the TD had the final say.......

801.03 Appeals

When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower.
A player may appeal a group decision to an Official, or an Official's decision to the Director, by clearly and promptly stating that desire to the group. If an Official or the Director is readily available, the group may stand aside and allow other groups to play through while the appeal is being heard.
If an Official or Director is not readily available, the thrower may make a set of provisional throws for each additional possible outcome of the ruling, and later appeal the ruling to an Official or to the Director when practical.
If a ruling is overturned, an Official or the Director may adjust the player's score to reflect the correct interpretation of the rules. Alternatively, the Director may have the player replay one or more holes. Rulings by the Director are final.

Nevermind.

Last edited:
To offer some context:

yeah i agree

def not something you would see in fpo

I'm not gonna try to get in Elmex's head, but...

I took his post to be a poke at Arisugawa's comment about being "man enough" to take a penalty when it applies.

You don't have to be male to display good sportspersonship.

Am I the only one who finds Maple hill kind of boring to watch?

I love watching play on wooded courses, but besides a few holes, Maple hill just seems blah to me.

Just an FYI, the PDGA rules committee was responsible for the switch. I'll let you all ponder who called them.

IMO..........Water OB is water OB, regardless of what color shading is on a picture. :|

Oh and a up until this point, i THOUGHT the TD had the final say.......

801.03 Appeals

When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower.
A player may appeal a group decision to an Official, or an Official's decision to the Director, by clearly and promptly stating that desire to the group. If an Official or the Director is readily available, the group may stand aside and allow other groups to play through while the appeal is being heard.
If an Official or Director is not readily available, the thrower may make a set of provisional throws for each additional possible outcome of the ruling, and later appeal the ruling to an Official or to the Director when practical.
If a ruling is overturned, an Official or the Director may adjust the player's score to reflect the correct interpretation of the rules. Alternatively, the Director may have the player replay one or more holes. Rulings by the Director are final.

The Rules Committee has no authority to make the switch, all they could do was inform Dodge in some way or another. It is within his authority to change his ruling though. I don't see this as a situation for the Rules Committee either way, maaaaybe the Competition Committee. It would have been very interesting to see what would happen if he told them to stick it (which imo he should have).

Some more rules talk, as it is soooo much fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5L0ulOA7aY

Dibattista throws twice from #14 DZ1 even though the hole rules say go to DZ2 if OB from DZ1. I know, player can abandon throw whenever and go back to previous lie, but the TD has power to take away that option. Is writing what to do when OB from DZ1 enough, or should it be explicitly stated that, NO you cannot rethrow from here... Whole another discussion as to why someone would rethrow from DZ1...

Latest posts