• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 MVP Open at Maple Hill Sept 11-13

Some more rules talk, as it is soooo much fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5L0ulOA7aY

Dibattista throws twice from #14 DZ1 even though the hole rules say go to DZ2 if OB from DZ1. I know, player can abandon throw whenever and go back to previous lie, but the TD has power to take away that option. Is writing what to do when OB from DZ1 enough, or should it be explicitly stated that, NO you cannot rethrow from here... Whole another discussion as to why someone would rethrow from DZ1...

A TD removing the players options to abandon their throw is a different bag of worms.
It's annoying enough when TDs restrict players' OB options, and it requires a PDGA waiver to do so. Taking it further and restricting an additional rule on top of that might be taking it a step too far.

Can anyone explain how Heimburg was able to putt from the bridge on #9 when it clearly says it's OB in the caddy book ?

Can anyone explain how Heimburg was able to putt from the bridge on #9 when it clearly says it's OB in the caddy book ?

1 hour 50 minutes-ish of the live coverage . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Ra2QzJxmI

Hannah talks about it and I think they talked about it earlier when Heimburg was putting as I think Terry said Paul asked Calvin about it . . .. I'm nobody I just remembered hearing them talking about it.

Commentators said something to the effect of "a spotter, who was confident in his/her grasp of the rule" said something that basically clarified that "Only the part of the bridge that is above the ob is considered ob. The rest of the bridge, that is above the inbounds area is in bounds."

This doesn't seem to jive with the caddy book, but it's apparently what they went with.

It was strange seeing the number of odd calls in this tourney. I can think of three off the top of my head.

This Calvin issue. Paul's ob in the 2nd pond issue. And Paige P's interesting lie that the group gave her on #9 after going ob long.

Last edited:
My general recommendation is to curve/bulge the OB lines so that bridges are completely encompassed inside an OB area. It might not be feasible for every bridge, so if you have to run an OB line across a bridge, make it clear that part of the bridge is IB and part is OB (run a string across the top, paint a line across the top, etc).

If a bridge or part of a bridge is IB, then you also have to deal with discs coming to rest under the bridge. Make sure your players know that moving discs from the ground to the bridge is not legal. Either stick your leg under the bridge (the IB section), or treat it like a solid obstacle and move behind the bridge.

I prefer to just bypass the issues altogether and just put all bridges inside OB areas.

It was strange seeing the number of odd calls in this tourney. I can think of three off the top of my head.

This Calvin issue. Paul's ob in the 2nd pond issue. And Paige P's interesting lie that the group gave her on #9 after going ob long.
Also Simon's OB on hole 8 in round 1.

I admit I am not a fan of Dodge, but please help me understand how someone who has been around disc golf for so long, ends up putting out a caddy book with anything less than 100% clear to understand rules? I just don't get it....

I admit I am not a fan of Dodge, but please help me understand how someone who has been around disc golf for so long, ends up putting out a caddy book with anything less than 100% clear to understand rules? I just don't get it....

If you are a big idea guy, you have to be willing to delegate the detail work to other people and trust their work.

If you are the DGPT, you need to confirm that the work of others confirms to your expectations/standards.

Nobody's getting rich here and I'm sure this year has been especially challenging. Ideally, caddy books would be usability tested for accuracy by people both familiar and somewhat unfamiliar with the course. The guiding question would be "what problems remain that we are not accounting for that we should account for." It would be best done walking the course to match graphical representations with reality.

The Maple Hill course has been around for about 15 years, and has evolved a lot in that time. Other than between Thanksgiving and Christmas when it shuts down for tree sales, this is a course that gets a huge amount of casual and local tournament play. There are lots of alternate tees, markers, OB lines, etc. from casual play that change come MVP Open tournament time and confuse even the locals who play it every week. As with most premier tournaments, the course also gets "tricked out" for elite competitor play...and sometimes random stuff just happens. I remember one year there was a submerged OB rope near hole#8 which somebody found somehow during the tournament and caused confusion because it was something that not been used or even seen in years!

I have seen other big tournaments with far worse caddy books and with little to no foresight about sticky rules scenarios. Sometimes doodie just happens and all in all, this is one of the last things that I would complain about with the MVP Open. I think they do one of the best jobs on tour in making for a fair course that still punishes loose, errant shots. Although I will say that far fewer of these issues came up when head groundskeeper May Pleworm was in charge of things and preparing the course for tournament time...but alas, Dave works elsewhere now.

Was that the strange one where his disc went between wall panels or something?

No. It was the one where somebody else had thrown and knocked the ob rope into the water and Simon's disc landed in the pond underneath the rope.

No. It was the one where somebody else had thrown and knocked the ob rope into the water and Simon's disc landed in the pond underneath the rope.

I believe Simon's disc knocked the rope down.
I would not put that situation into the controversial category. Weird though.

The spot Paige Pierce's card mates gave her was the most controversial in my opinion.

I fully understand the penalty Gurthie received, but at the same time I felt he got screwed.

McBeth's OB situation that got reversed was OK with me, but I bet there a lot of people who felt McBeth received "star treatment".

I believe Simon's disc knocked the rope down.
I would not put that situation into the controversial category. Weird though.

The rope was unchanged from first to last shot on that card. If someone's disc moved the rope, it happened earlier in the day.

Here's the rope in what looks like approximately the same position for an earlier card: https://youtu.be/iAtQ4LgXaZ4?t=1785 (29:45)

Ricky's first disc (same card, thrown before Simon) moved the rope on the left side of the basket but I couldn't see any movement on the rope in the section where Simon went OB.

Heather Young had a break out performance imop. If she can get another 30ft or so on her drives, she can compete with Paige & Catrina anywhere. I expect Hailey King to be the #1 FPO player within the next 3-4 years. She has the raw talent, just needs the mental game to catch up.

I expect it to be one of the three Europeans. Henna, Eveliina, & Kristin have both youth and talent. All should be expected to improve -- if they stay with disc golf. If though, like Ragna Bygde, they take another path...

Like a lot of TDs, they write caddy books like a player, not like an official. They view nearly everything through the player lens. Someday we'll have an expert in the booth or available for consult who used to be a player but is now exclusively an official. Just like other sports.

The spot Paige Pierce's card mates gave her was the most controversial in my opinion

She have to throw from the spot her card mates give her? nothing she can do?