• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 MVP Open at Maple Hill Sept 11-13

You know, looking at the caddie book, I think Paul has a valid gripe. The 2nd pond is not indicated as being a separate O/B area. There is a clear O/B line past and to the right of the main pond, but the 2nd pond doesn't even show up on the map except one tiny corner, but it is past the red O/B shaded area. It is shaded as land O/B, not water O/B. At best, its an unclear local tourney rule. I can't believe no one has ever ended up there to bring this up before.

As far as clearing the ponds, one can try to go around them as well. Holes one and five have plenty of room to do so. Hole 8 does as well, just not quite as much. If one can throw to the drop zone, you can do that directly. Problem on that hole is the shot to clear the pond is not that much shorted.

I would never, in a million tries, be able to make a 320 foot throw from the tee box, that would carry the water and land in bounds.

So my question is, during tournament play, do I HAVE to make that throw, knowing it is going to land in the water and be a lost disc....

OR can I concede the stroke, take the penalty, and go straight to the drop zone and throw my 3rd shot??....

the only other option I can think of would be to toss a lay up into the OB pond very close to the edge, just in front of the tee box, (so that I can retrieve my disc), take my penalty and proceed to the drop zone.

I looked through the Rules Forums and looked through the PDGA rule book, but didn't see (or failed to notice) an answer to this question.

Thanks.

As mentioned above, 806.02 G says a TD may give players the option to go directly to the DZ with the penalty (and all of their discs, safe and sound).

I remember once several years ago when this was not made plain to the players at a tournament at ECC in Emporia, Ks., which has a notorious island shot. Players who did not want to lose a disc tossed their tee shots about 10' to the left into a nearby bush, which was (rather conveniently) sitting outside the painted line and thus OB.

I was going to say, you could ask someone stand in front of the tee and ask them to catch your disc before it goes in the pond, just toss it at them. This used to be the advice given in these situations some years back. But now I cannot find it in the rules anymore. It was something like, "altering the course of a disc to avoid it being lost is not regarded as interference".

As mentioned above, 806.02 G says a TD may give players the option to go directly to the DZ with the penalty (and all of their discs, safe and sound).
Thanks for that.....so it seems, based on "may" give the option, that a TD "might not" give that option, which would leave me with my 2nd choice of laying up into the OB water.

I would like to play tournaments. I seem to focus better, and generally play better, in the few tournaments I have been able to enter.

Unfortunately, I work all but 2 Saturdays per year, which pretty much eliminates any tournament play for me, but I was curious about that particular situation.

I was wondering what people thought about the harsh spot PP's card mates gave her on hole 9. (pretty sure it was 9)
She went OB just past the basket and the spotter showed where she was last in bounds which would have given her a tap in. Her card mates gave her a spot about 20 feet further away and behind a tree.
She missed the putt and was clearly ticked off.
The commentators basically said she was screwed as it was clear the spot the other players forced her to take was wrong.

I was going to say, you could ask someone stand in front of the tee and ask them to catch your disc before it goes in the pond, just toss it at them. This used to be the advice given in these situations some years back. But now I cannot find it in the rules anymore. It was something like, "altering the course of a disc to avoid it being lost is not regarded as interference".

That rule was unfortunately removed from the rulebook in the 2018 edition. It was a caveat in the Intentional Interference rule that said a player could interfere with another player's disc if the thrower requested it, and the thrower would treat the throw like a lost disc (previous spot or drop zone). This allowed players to serve as a "backstop" on scary putts to try to prevent discs from being lost in a lake/river.
I can see how it could have introduced some uncertainty or disagreements with players who tried to use it, but I always thought it was a fun rule.

I was wondering what people thought about the harsh spot PP's card mates gave her on hole 9. (pretty sure it was 9)
She went OB just past the basket and the spotter showed where she was last in bounds which would have given her a tap in. Her card mates gave her a spot about 20 feet further away and behind a tree.
She missed the putt and was clearly ticked off.
The commentators basically said she was screwed as it was clear the spot the other players forced her to take was wrong.

I will have to rewatch it. I watched it on YouTube last night. On another subject involving the same round, is it just me or does Sarah Hokom look exceedingly uncomfortable when she putts? She did putt fairly well during 1st round though, much better than usual.

Wow... Dodge reversed the ruling on McBeths shot on 8 yesterday.

McBeth 2 back of Rick with 18 to play. Should be an interesting day!

Odd that Steve changed his mind, he was sure it was OB at the time. .

Paige got robbed on 9, the card gave her the wrong spot

Odd that Steve changed his mind, he was sure it was OB at the time.

So McBeth's decision to play a provisional from the other pond looks really smart right about now.
A lot of people, myself included figured he was thumbing his nose at Dodge, but maybe McBeth was hoping Dodge would decide that the back pond was a separate OB pond and not subject to the drop zone. It worked.

So McBeth's decision to play a provisional from the other pond looks really smart right about now.
A lot of people, myself included figured he was thumbing his nose at Dodge, but maybe McBeth was hoping Dodge would decide that the back pond was a separate OB pond and not subject to the drop zone. It worked.

When in doubt, throw a provisional out. :thmbup:

Latest posts