• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17

There's plenty of negative consequences to growth and putting crowd sizes before quality disc golf is definitely high on the list.

For the record, I 100% think Northwood is far and away a much better course than Eureka and far and away the better option for the final round.

Until they are. And when they do, we need to be ahead of things like this.

I agree. Weema is making a mockery of the sport. They wouldn't just let any schmuck enter The Masters'. This is supposed to be the top event of the year for the world's very best players. They shouldn't let the attention seeking Weema's of the world detract from that.

In a sense, it is cool if you think about accessibility; however, let's not do this at the World's

I wonder if that guy walked off the course and whoever was keeping score was just putting in whatever? Right now he's being showed with a 999.

He was not invited back for the next round.

:thmbup:

So if Innova has any sense, we need some Lloyd Weema Tour Series Metal Flake Color Glow Champ Grooves, I know I'd buy one as a wall hanger.

I'd buy a stack!
For those that may not have noticed yet, Weema is continuing his meteoric rise in the standings. Starting this morning in 190th place, up three notches from 193rd yesterday!
(Yes, this is again the result of three DNF's. So what?)

Lloyd is on fire with his second par of the tournament.

Crushing people hearts.

If he gets a BIRDIE today, people's faces will melt!

In a sense, it is cool if you think about accessibility; however, let's not do this at the World's

If you look at the registration schedule:

https://www.pdga.com/2019proworlds/registration/schedule

I could be wrong, but it seems it was almost 2 months after registration began for invites and higher tiers before Lloyd could register. What would you do in that scenario when there's simply not enough higher rated pros willing to play/fill this event?

If you look at the registration schedule:

https://www.pdga.com/2019proworlds/registration/schedule

I could be wrong, but it seems it was almost 2 months after registration began for invites and higher tiers before Lloyd could register. What would you do in that scenario when there's simply not enough higher rated pros willing to play/fill this event?

Does every available slot need to be filled? If so, why? I get it that the registration fee can feed the purse, but there has to be a better way to generate funds...

Does every available slot need to be filled? If so, why? I get it that the registration fee can feed the purse, but there has to be a better way to generate funds...

Lots of people ask the same question. I'm sure some will respond with "volunteer your time and solicit additional funds". Which is not a bad suggestion at all.

No every spots does not need to be filled. Actually all of the spots didn't fill only 197 of the 216 spots filled.

Why $$$$$$$.

I feel your example of the PGA Masters reflect more so the PDGA USDGC event. Where a select few are invited.

I get it, I don't think anyone here is actually defending Lloyd actually being allowed to play, we're mostly just having fun with it.

But MTL example of limiting to 960 and above would have eliminated 25 other players other than Lloyd, 26 if you count the 960 rated player . And actually two of my friends would not have been allowed to compete, one an old pro and one an up and coming kid. And I think that is a very bad idea. And the young up and comer played so well he moved from B pool to the A pool. Out of the 25 two moved up to A pool, 3 if you count the 960 rated guy.

The great thing about the NCAA basketball tournament is the Cinderella stories. The dream that anyone can win the championship. Does anyone win that tournament? No, but you know what they can dream. The PDGA shouldn't be about crushing dreams.

Does the NFL tell a team below .500 they can't make the playoffs? Do NBA or NHL say that either?

We already have the invite only tournament at the USDGC, which is fine. I believe it would be a huge mistake to limit Worlds to 960 rating. I don't care if Lloyd can play, but a 940 or 955 rated local pro not being able to play because of a cap is a mistake where their spots available. Its not hurting anything it just crushing dreams of people who pay the PDGA for their "Pro" memberships.

And of course no lower rated player should take the spot of someone more qualified.

But MTL example of limiting to 960 and above would have eliminated 25 other players other than Lloyd, 26 if you count the 960 rated player .

I never said 960. If I did, it was as an example.

I would suggest 935 as the minimum as someone under 935 can play Intermediate. At the minimum 900.

No every spots does not need to be filled. Actually all of the spots didn't fill only 197 of the 216 spots filled.

Why $$$$$$$.

I feel your example of the PGA Masters reflect more so the PDGA USDGC event. Where a select few are invited.

I get it, I don't think anyone here is actually defending Lloyd actually being allowed to play, we're mostly just having fun with it.

But MTL example of limiting to 960 and above would have eliminated 25 other players other than Lloyd, 26 if you count the 960 rated player . And actually two of my friends would not have been allowed to compete, one an old pro and one an up and coming kid. And I think that is a very bad idea. And the young up and comer played so well he moved from B pool to the A pool. Out of the 25 two moved up to A pool, 3 if you count the 960 rated guy.

The great thing about the NCAA basketball tournament is the Cinderella stories. The dream that anyone can win the championship. Does anyone win that tournament? No, but you know what they can dream. The PDGA shouldn't be about crushing dreams.

Does the NFL tell a team below .500 they can't make the playoffs? Do NBA or NHL say that either?

We already have the invite only tournament at the USDGC, which is fine. I believe it would be a huge mistake to limit Worlds to 960 rating. I don't care if Lloyd can play, but a 940 or 955 rated local pro not being able to play because of a cap is a mistake where their spots available. Its not hurting anything it just crushing dreams of people who pay the PDGA for their "Pro" memberships.

And of course no lower rated player should take the spot of someone more qualified.

I think a cutoff of 900 makes more sense than 960. Your point is well taken.

NCAA Cinderella teams still qualified for the event. Not a comparative example.

That 2nd OB on hole 8 for Emerson, why was that OB? it did touch land/mud and it looked like a part of the disc was out of the water

FTR, part of the disc being out of the water has no impact on if it is OB. It can be completely dry on a rock in the middle of a lake, but is still OB. But, I know what you are saying. Clemons did look in from what we could see. I am sure the card could see it better than us though, and made the right call.

This just might be me, but every time I see a video showing hole 6 at Eureka it occurs to me that if that hole was permanent and the OB defined by tall grass I'd knock that course down a .5 point for having a stupid pointless long for the sake of being long hole. It's like hole 8 on Lemon Lake Gold; by the end you just look back and wonder what the point of that was. I guess we like really long, open, pointless holes at World's? Whatever. Can't we just have the long drive contest subtract points from your score and call it a day?

Oh, and it case you didn't pick up on my mood...get the Hell off my lawn! :mad:

It would be interesting if they had a cutoff to reach the next round. Even if it was only a few people, it would eliminate the players obviously not in it to win it, which I feel overrides the "social experience" in an event of this magnitude.

This just might be me, but every time I see a video showing hole 6 at Eureka it occurs to me that if that hole was permanent and the OB defined by tall grass I'd knock that course down a .5 point for having a stupid pointless long for the sake of being long hole. It's like hole 8 on Lemon Lake Gold; by the end you just look back and wonder what the point of that was. I guess we like really long, open, pointless holes at World's? Whatever. Can't we just have the long drive contest subtract points from your score and call it a day?

Oh, and it case you didn't pick up on my mood...get the Hell off my lawn! :mad:

I actually think that's one of the better holes on the course. Most every professional level player can play safe for a par, but the top level distance guys have the ability to go for par. Yesterday on lead card, the shortest thrower on the card (Chris Clemons) played for par and got it, while the other 3, who would all be considered top tier distance players, went ob, while playing aggressive and going for birdie. I think of hole 5 similar to the way you think of 6,

It would be interesting if they had a cutoff to reach the next round. Even if it was only a few people, it would eliminate the players obviously not in it to win it, which I feel overrides the "social experience" in an event of this magnitude.

Can't do it after each round if there are multiple pools playing different courses at different times.

They do have a cut for the final round, which is entirely fair. I'm not sure a cut after, say, two rounds would be all that popular. The people who are most likely to miss this hypothetical cut are the weekend warrior types who are likely taking time off from work and paying out of pocket to travel for the experience of Worlds. To take the whole week off only to be eliminated on Wednesday would kinda suck. I know I'd be far less inclined to play if that were a possibility (of course, I'm not all that inclined to go to Worlds anyway). I imagine a whole lot of players better than me might feel the same.

I've said it before and it's worth repeating, it's a numbers game. All of these concerns are resolved as the numbers in our game grow. Numbers both in terms of players and money. There's no reason to put the cart before the horse and place limitations on the event before it's truly necessary.

Barsby's world title last year isn't any less prestigious because there was a 750 rated player in the event nor would it somehow be more prestigious or impressive if they hadn't allowed anyone under 900 or 950 or whatever to play the event. His paycheck would have been a bit lighter though.

I've said it before and it's worth repeating, it's a numbers game. All of these concerns are resolved as the numbers in our game grow. Numbers both in terms of players and money. There's no reason to put the cart before the horse and place limitations on the event before it's truly necessary.

Barsby's world title last year isn't any less prestigious because there was a 750 rated player in the event nor would it somehow be more prestigious or impressive if they hadn't allowed anyone under 900 or 950 or whatever to play the event.

The problem with this is this makes perfect sense to us. Because we understand ratings and we understanding why Lloyd can play.

At the top of the sport we have got to stop thinking internally - which is what this post is, internal thought - and think externally.

People don't understand what a 750 rated player is or what that means or even why he is allowed to play. People understand that by watching him play and seeing his scores that the game isn't serious at the highest level.

That's the risk you take by not limiting a field at an event like this. It doesn't matter today. It probably won't matter next year in Utah. But at some point, it will.

I actually think that's one of the better holes on the course. Most every professional level player can play safe for a par, but the top level distance guys have the ability to go for par. Yesterday on lead card, the shortest thrower on the card (Chris Clemons) played for par and got it, while the other 3, who would all be considered top tier distance players, went ob, while playing aggressive and going for birdie. I think of hole 5 similar to the way you think of 6,
Just because a hole has good score spread/separation does not make it a good hole. Does it play well? Yes. Is it boringAF to watch? Also yes. Is it a hole I'd ever care to play? Whatever, either way.

Meh... overall Eureka has so many areas that just aren't visually appealing. I was so glad when I realized the other day that they were playing the other course as well. I'm excited to see round 4,.

Latest posts